Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake shield - Question regarding recommendation and prices of brand workshop

Slepetau

Country Flag
norway
My car have just went through an EU control at my local brand workshop, where it was found that both front break shields was loose due to corrosion/wear.

So I have to replace or remove in order for my car's EU-control to be approved. Since I often drive many hours in slushy snow, I figure it's best to replace.

Recommendation from brand workshop

As my car have passed 220kkm (137 k.miles) the brand workshop recommend also replacing the wheel bearings (since they have to disassemble that as well). Do you think it is reasonable to take the extra cost of replacing the wheel bearing at this mileage ?

Third party suppliers of brake shields

Also - the brake shields that the brand workshop offer, has a material cost of between 7-12 times of spare parts that is manufactured by 3. parts. This leads to two questions:

Is there any risk using third party suppliers for break shield - i.e. does the break shields keep any weight on other parts ?

In the web shops, I find brake shields from several manufacturers. The question is if one or more of these brands has reputation for less than desired quality of parts (no particular order):
  • Blic
  • Van Wezel
  • Abakus
  • Herth+Buss Jakoparts
  • Klokkerholm

Some additional info

Manufactured year: 2009

Full Tectyl treatment of undercarriage two years ago.

I'm not skilled in car repair and neither have the means of lifting the car for inspection.

Thanks for answers in advance.

I'd think the third party brake backing plates would be fine as long as they're a reasonable quality and a good pattern match to the originals. It's only a bit of tin at the end of the day!

The wheel bearings do need replacing from time to time on the 120 - one of mine was replaced at about half of your mileage. The front ones are usually supplied as part of the hub and are an easy job to bolt in. It won't be much extra labour to do that while they've got the wheels and brakes off to do the backing plates - so you'll get the wheel bearings done for the price of the parts and not much labour.

If you do it later you'll have to pay.for the labour to strip it all down again.

On the other hand there might be plenty of life left in the existing bearings, so it's up to you really!

Thanks for reply.

I got the car at about 190kkm and unfortunately not having full record, except I know all services are being followed. Perhaps the ball bearings are never being replaced before.

Agree with Karl with replacing bearings while stripped down is more cost effective, - something I personally would do, as it's good to go from new again, rather than replace a bit further down the line with it all being dismantled again, and there were no labour costs with mine.
You will be paying for labour on yours at the garage if done twice.
I used third party ones on the front of my 120, much cheaper than Toyota and fitted perfectly.
Your standard jack would lift it to get the wheel off one at a time for inspection, exactly the same as changing a wheel for a puncture. Make sure it is on stable, flat ground, and on NO account get under the vehicle without proper support after jacking.

Back