Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake upgrade

Ash Awbery

Country Flag
great_britain
My lj70 have solid discs on the front, just wondered if anyone had upgraded their front brakes? I was thinking maybe vented discs and calipers from a hilux surf would fit?

Has anybody got any experience with this? Before I buy some bits to find they don't fit....

thanks ash

The KZJ 70 has vented discs as standard. Also the drum brakes on the back are much larger. This set-up will cope with anything.

Roger

Ok thanks will look at kzj70 front brakes, rears aren't a problem as already converted to discs :)

ash

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will be out in it tomorrow so I will get some pictures of the finished conversion :) as the only ones I have is of the mock up of my full floating conversion.

ash

For the front you can upgrade with new kzj70 callipers discs and pads for less than 150 pounds

Hi, sorry I forgot to take a picture but its really just like my pictures of the full floater conversion. Will try and remember to take them tomorrow. I was thinking about using kzj70 set up. Anyone tried fitting and 80 series stuff?

just had a look at your Difflock thread Ash, Looks good. Are you going to go down the KZJ route for the front or something else?
is that £150 for genuine calipers etc YD?

and what calipers and disks have you guys used? -i'm in the process of doing something similar.

i was thinking of cutting some brackets and using fourtrak front calipers (i have an X-brake handbrake which will hopefully simplfy things) and Pajero disks but i'm a bit worried that it might foul the rims, either by having a bigger diameter, being too deep or both?
or buying a kit like this
http://www.wabfab.org/projects/1985/brakes/rdc/reardisc13.JPG
with these brackets
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/images/products/128_1356025712.jpg

From what I remember aren't pajero discs very thick? So possibly making caliper choices difficult? Could you not just use lj78 rear discs? Like in the links I have seen suzuki discs redrilled for 6 stud but wouldn't recommend for road use...

Ash

no, i'm not keen on drilling discs either.
i have fourtrak axle already which i think has vented discs so hopefully they might be ok for me, 312mm OD LJ78 rear vented looks like a good option, and for £18 ea inc vat isn't too bad at all (milner) or 300mm OD KZJ70 front vented discs possibly, assuming the centers are the right size.

also i've been thinking... will there be an issue with fluid volume when doing a disc conversion i.e. do drum slave cylinders require less fluid then calipers? (just imagining putting on the brakes and the fronts locking up with little braking on the back...)

Last edited:
They did use Volvo s40 rear brake caliper but they dont have x-brake, the guy with the vitara did use non vent disc to lj70 front. But he had to grind or lathing the drive shaft 2-3mm. The guy with the toyota did use a vitara 88-96 disc and drill them from 5x139,7 to 6x139,7 then they are bolt on. I are going to use a vitara disc and volvo 740 rear brake caliper because i also have the X-brake. but i have to use spacers i think.

Back