Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brighter headlights??

Va PANZUR

Country Flag
united_states
Recently joined this wonderful site and am hoping to get some "straight gouge" from fellow L/C owners who know and fully appreciate these remarkable machines.

To start with I'd like to increase the brightness of my normal headlights. Have read conflicting reports on various other sites on the max levels of bulb brightness and other considerations.

Bottom line would like to know make, model, watts, etc that an '02 100 series can in fact use w/out problems, while providing more light that the standard OEM replacements.

Many thanks in advance for the time and consideration anyone can provide.

Semper Fi,
Rob

Rob

I replaced the standard dipped bulbs with HIR2/9012 ones. You have to cut the tab on the 9012 bulb to fit in the the existing HB4/9006 holder. http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

This will give you a good increase in light output. Do not be tempted to put HID in as the beam scatter is horrendous for oncoming vehicles.

Chris
2001 HDJ100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go LED. Not sure if you've got someone importing good quality units into the States but in the UK we have www.woodypeck.com who are importing quality LED headlight bulbs. Contact Steve there with your requirements and he is sure to be able to help you.
They are can bus friendly and Steve is very helpful. Have a look on here for Clive's Angel eye replacement headlight thread here http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53922 which has some photos of my 80 with LEDs in. Very good light, and excellent beam cut off without dazzling others. From post 111.

Welcome to the forum BTW VP.

Best wishes
Richard.

Last edited:
I have tried a few HIR 9011/9012 bulbs, and found that they have much less light output than e.g. Osram Night Breaker. Here's a link, but you can find them cheaper than this:
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/night-breaker-unlimited-hb4

LEDs give a more scattered light, as the "filament" is not in the right position for the reflectors. The filament in a halogen is very small, and in the center, while the LED has a much larger surface which is closer to the reflector.

Are you sure you don't mean HIDs uHu? What you describe are HID characteristics. The LEDs in my headlights have a very pronounced cutoff which is a straight line.

The LEDs in my headlights have a very pronounced cutoff which is a straight line.
I haven't seen such leds yet. How is that possible, are there lenses on the led-emitters, shifting the focal point back to where the halogen filament would sit?

I would love to run LEDs, provided they give a good light distribution, a good output, and a good CRI.

Another problem for us here up north, is the temperature of the headlamp lenses in the winter: The halogens keep the headlamps free from ice and snow because of the high temperature, at least down to -25 C. On the LEDs, the wattage is lower, plus that there are cooling ribs on the outside of the lamp housing, giving much less heat to the front. I hear reports from car owners with LED lamps, that they have to remove ice from the lights. The LED's enemy is heat. I've heard that the rating for usable life of LEDs is provided the temp of the emitter is kept under 70 C. Don't know if that's an accurate figure for all emitters, but it's very low compared to halogen and similar "white-glowing metal" bulbs.

Edit: Star, looked at your pics in post 119 of the thread linked to above, and I can't see any good cutoff. Also, I suppose you are running H4 bulbs, while most of the 100s have HB4/9006 bulbs.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I haven't seen such leds yet. How is that possible, are there lenses on the led-emitters, shifting the focal point back to where the halogen filament would sit?

I would love to run LEDs, provided they give a good light distribution, a good output, and a good CRI.

Another problem for us here up north, is the temperature of the headlamp lenses in the winter: The halogens keep the headlamps free from ice and snow because of the high temperature, at least down to -25 C. On the LEDs, the wattage is lower, plus that there are cooling ribs on the outside of the lamp housing, giving much less heat to the front. I hear reports from car owners with LED lamps, that they have to remove ice from the lights. The LED's enemy is heat. I've heard that the rating for usable life of LEDs is provided the temp of the emitter is kept under 70 C. Don't know if that's an accurate figure for all emitters, but it's very low compared to halogen and similar "white-glowing metal" bulbs.

Edit: Star, looked at your pics in post 119 of the thread linked to above, and I can't see any good cutoff. Also, I suppose you are running H4 bulbs, while most of the 100s have HB4/9006 bulbs.

I've not used LEDs so I can't comment but for sure the HIDs fitted to my truck, although a superb beam delivered from projectors, do ice-up when the temps drop and the white stuff is about.

Here, I've found out that HIDs are only legal when there are high pressure headlamp washers fitted to the vehicle. For next winter, I'm looking to fit a hot-wash to the headlamp washer jets, similar to the one I've got on the screen wash.

Check post 164 in that thread above. It does demonstrate a clearer cut off. I just did a trip down to Cornwall at night with these and they were a pure pleasure. Not a single flash from oncoming traffic and with two sets in high beam is a revelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks better on your pics, Grant. Is it the same bulb Star is running? Maybe just a better garage wall for showing the pattern?
Noticed that this bulb is not listed in the HB4 version.

Apologies uHu, this was the thread I posted the proper photos on.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54367

I agree, the garage door shot is pants for telling what the beam looks like.

Not sure on the HB4 fitting but email or talk to Steve at Woodypeck for availability, I really don't know.

Yes, you may need to make up a heater for your lenses with some tube off the heater hoses but other than that they are so much better on the 80.

Last edited:
Looks better on your pics, Grant. Is it the same bulb Star is running? Maybe just a better garage wall for showing the pattern?
Noticed that this bulb is not listed in the HB4 version.

Different bulbs - I bought the last set from here http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1847833 and the first set from woodypeck. UK shipping is obviously much faster and better turn around on the support.

FWIW, I have a set of those LED bulbs (H4) fitted in my 90s standard lenses - the cutoff isn't as perhaps good as normal bulbs but certainly good enough to pass the MoT, which it did a few weeks ago.

The difference in illumination on low beam really is night and day, however the main beam lacks (any) depth and just goes "higher" than the low beam.

If lights are required, 99.9% of my driving is on low beam, so I'm happy to sacrifice the main beam and live with the excellent low beam output.

Last edited:
I notice this too Chadr, though I'm wondering if it might be that the difference is not so enormous between dipped and main as it is on the halogens. This may have been improved as these lamps are evolving all the time.

Last edited:
With two sets (H4 & H1) in the front the amount of light being produced is definitely impressive - I can't be sure yet if the reach is improved or not. I would be surprised if it wasn't though.

I fitted HIDS 35 watts for high and low, a bit of a pain when selecting high as they take 2 seconds to burn up to full power, I fitted LED to the front Fog lights, Fitted LED to all doors and tail gate number plate

Are the LED better than the HID ? would be great to see some pictures from the drivers seat

Definitely better than putting hid kit in your oem head light units. There is another thread with some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back