Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Broken sump, insurance claim?

Trev, if it makes you feel any better an old boy in a small Korean car wandered across his lane on a dual carriageway into the side of the 90. I saw him coming, sounded my horn and matched his speed to minimise damage. On collision he hit the brakes and tore the side of the his car and ripped the bumper off. Rather than putting him to the heartache I fixed mine myself without spending any money although I could have bought a new sidestep and re sprayed the side of the car at his insurers expense. Either way though, I have paid her premiums fully comp for the past 10 years so I'm sure the insurers would still be quids in if I do claim.

I'll check the hump today, it's not far from my house and she drives it every day on the school run. She said she wasn't going that fast but hey, maybe she hit it at a slightly different angle or perhaps the springs are softening. If it's the hump I think it is it has scars in the road before and after.

Trev, do you or any friends or family live on the Wirral? I wouldn't want to adversely affect your council tax...

Last edited:
Jeez, that's my point exactly. It's morally wrong, it pushes insurance premiums up and at worst fraudulent. Just doesn't sit right with me.
you seem to have missed my point. the point being was to claim from your local council, not your car insurance.

Trev, do you or any friends or family live on the Wirral? I wouldn't want to adversely affect your council tax...

Fair comment Mike I probably asked for that :thumbup:, Clive got where I was coming from and put it better than I did.

Still can't quite agree with Gra, if the hump isn't out of spec then lets go find one that is and claim off that one instead? Really?

Re insurance claim there may be another problem. Insurers may say the engine should have been turned off after the event. This happened to a friend but in fact he had stopped and left a tell tale puddle of oil, then drove off without realising how important the oil was. Just a thought.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Re insurance claim there may be another problem. Insurers may say the engine should have been turned off after the event. This happened to a friend but in fact he had stopped and left a tell tale puddle of oil, then drove off without realising how important the oil was. Just a thought.

Agreed Frank, despite a claim for the damaged sump being valid, the consequential damage to the engine will likely be considered misadventure or some other such term that would absolve them from liability.

Agreed Frank, despite a claim for the damaged sump being valid, the consequential damage to the engine will likely be considered misadventure or some other such term that would absolve them from liability.

Yep, insurance companies today will do all they can to avoid paying out, makes you wonder what our premiums are for.

Yes, the whole game has become survival of the meanest.

My mum (91 years) has been paying house insurance from 1936, without a single claim.

She had solar panels fitted to the roof about 3 years ago and in the spring storms this year, one came adrift and smashed into the other, destroying both.

On my brother's advice she filed a claim and they came to inspect. His report said that the fitting of them was bad workmanship and they wouldn't pay out.

What to say? I argued that they had survived the storms in previous years and hadn't fallen, but they replied that they should have survived longer if the workmanship had been up to standard.

BTW, the supplier/fitter company, of course, has now gone into liquidation... :icon-cry:

Back