Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bump Stops for Colorado

Adrian North

Hi everyone,

When I got my Colorado serviced and MOT'd the mechanic said that the rear bump stops were very worn and needed replacing. I have tried searching for them but to no avail. Can anyone here please point me in the direction of a) what the hell they are (I think I mentioned in a previous post how mechanically incompetent I am) and b) where can I get them?

Thanks

Adrian

There are two sorts so you may have to be a bit more specific. The first kind is like a tall tapered, segmented cone which sits inside the rear spring. The second is a sort of rubber block which sits under the chassis just above the axle. Generally short wheel bases and imports have the pad and long wheel base UKs have the cones. But that's not a rule without exceptions. It is unlikely in the extreme that if you have cones they are in a poor condition. So I would deduce that you have the pad kind.

Once you have determined that, we can find you a part number. If they ARE the cones ones, I may just know someone with a pair they'd love to sell you.

Chris

Chris,

Many thanks for the reply - tomorrow I will attempt to crawl under the beast and try and find out. With my luck I might need hospitalisation after that but we shall see. :D

Adrian

Adrian,

Does this help??

RearAxleShocksSprings.jpg

The part No. is 48306, I have 'Type A' bump stops on my 1998 LWB Diesel.

On mine, the part bolts to the side of the chassis rail above a flat steel pad on the axle.

I took this picture before I fitted the new Bump Stops - the bracket can be seen on the side of the chassis in front of the top coil of the rear spring.

DSCN5640.jpg

Bob.

Adrian North said:
When I got my Colorado serviced and MOT'd the mechanic said that the rear bump stops were very worn and needed replacing.
The bump stops are worn, really? And a MOT advisory says they need replacing? Sounds a little fishy to me - how did they get so worn, assuming they really are worn? Hardly a critical item IMO - you could probably get some 2nd hand ones from Karl and whack them in. Sorry to be sceptical but it sounds like the MOT man might be looking for business.

The bump stops are the black rubber cones things sticking down the inside of the spring (from the top) in Bob's pic. Maybe snap a pic of yours for us and post here?

I'd double check what he meant - shooting in the dark, I would think that the ARB bushes would be more likely candidates than bump stops. But I'm not at clued up on the 95, so only my 2c ;)

Cheers,

Bob,

Thanks for that - it helps me visualise where everything fits together - I'm going to print that diagram out and take it with me when I crawl under the beast :)

Andrew,

Thanks for the comment - I was thinking that - at the moment it isn't critical as I am mainly doing road driving but it might get more important when we start taking the truck on some long tours we are planning. I will take my camera with me when I crawl under the truck aand post some piccies up - might not be today as I have some meetings to go to but I will try.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Adrian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As I said not all colorados have the cone bump stops. Some have the axle stops and these DO deteriorate and even fall off.

Chris

Chris said:
Some have the axle stops and these DO deteriorate and even fall off.
Chris

Like this . . . . :o

DSCN5146.jpg

:lol: :lol:

One of mine was missing when I bought the truck and I suffered a broken rear spring as a result :doh:

Bob.

OT, but is there anything you don't have a pic of Bob :ugeek:

Bob,

I think that is what he was talking about :) Thanks

Where is the best place to get them?

Adrian

PS: I second TonyP's comment but I am very very thankful

TonyP said:
OT, but is there anything you don't have a pic of Bob :ugeek:

You mean . . "Is there anything that hasn't failed / broken / rotted on your truck Bob ??" :lol: :lol:

There are a few things I haven't tackled yet . . Front wheel bearings, Front wishbone bushes, Complete gearbox strip-down, Axle differential re-shim, turbo strip. . .

I expect I'll have pictures of all that before too long :doh: .

Bob.

Adrian North said:
Where is the best place to get them?
Adrian

I got mine fron Ian Rubie, but he isn't importing stuff any more :( .

If Milners or Roughtrax don't have them I'm afraid its going to mean a trip to Mr T :doh: .

Bob.

BobMurphy said:
Chris said:
Some have the axle stops and these DO deteriorate and even fall off.
Chris

Like this . . . . :o

DSCN5146.jpg

:lol: :lol:

One of mine was missing when I bought the truck and I suffered a broken rear spring as a result :doh:

Bob.

Are there supposed to be 2 Bob. I only have one and there doesnt appear to be anything missing on the other side.?????

Yes one either side.

Nothing trumpet shaped inside the spring I take it?

Chris

Back