By-pass oil filtration system - people's views.....?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
I like the idea I must say. I know that the Landrover Disappointment has a centrifugal oil spinner tun by oil pressure that spins out the soot and dirt meaning that the oil only needs changing at something like 20k. Nice idea. Shame that they didn't blag that idea instead of a simple filter medium.

If it really meant that you didn't need to change your oil until 10k or something it would pay for itself I guess in a relatively short period for a high miler.

I only do 4-5k per year in mine.

C

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
I am in england
Feb 24, 2010
Stourbridge, West Midlands, England
Garage
Have you thought of trying the higher quality OEM oil filter that's available? Supposed to have larger media and finer filtering and is what it came from the factory with but isn't used as standard after that to keep the standard OEM oil filter competative on cost apparently.

Lorin

Mar 28, 2010
Bournemouth
I didn't know there was a higher quality OEM filter. Cheers, Jon, I might see how much they are as anything to better protect the engine is a good idea in my mind.

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

chriscolleman

Sep 7, 2010
Belgium
When you install one of those make sure when the truck is warm and running idle the engine receives enough oil pressure.
A simple check valve will do the trick.

nathanrobo

Apr 6, 2010
Kettering - UK
Some spinners come with a Cut Off Valve (COV), that means that when the oil pressure is low, the oil bypasses the rotor cap.

Jon any idea what the higher quality oem filter filters to? I read that standard is about 30 micron, seems high given that a fuel filter is typically 10 micron.

nathanrobo

Apr 6, 2010
Kettering - UK
Is a finer filter as used from the factory coming to have any detremental impact on flow, with a pump that has some wear? For example my truck has 90k miles on it and so pump pressure will be different to a brand new oil pump.

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
I am in england
Feb 24, 2010
Stourbridge, West Midlands, England
Garage
I only noted the part number for a petrol 100 but if you search ih8mud with 90915-20004 it'll turn up some threads on the subject. Remember they're mostly talking about petrol engines over there but there are one or two references to diesels from Canadians usually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks