Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Calling All Drawer System Owners...

Sam

Garage
Right... It's crunch time - time to decide on drawer handles!

I've spent..well.. let's say a "LOT" of time searching high and low for the right handles. The only ones I really really want I can't have.. so now it's down to the best of the rest.

I've recently considered door handles. Yup I said it - door handles! :think:

My thinking was that it would be easy to incorporate both a slam latch type thing and a lock all in one. And I could even have 2 on each drawer like a space hatch (laying rotated 90 degrees sticking upwards closing into a hole in a metal bar along the bottom of the drawer).

handle.jpg

This could be really cool - but even with one maybe difficult to open with hands full - and of course I'll have door handles stuck on the front of my drawers! :lol:

So my question is... what you got? where did you get them?

I'm fixing to an 18mm thick ply drawer front that closes onto an ally bar that I can cut a hole into for a slam latch/lock at the bottom - so anything made for 2mm sheet metal is a no go.

It's a PITA ask I know - just thought maybe anyone bored enough with a few minutes to tell me what they have and where they got it could chip in? :thumbup:

Ben.. yours are on the list :thumbup:

Sam, this may be of some help.
Scott said:
ben said:
the other thing i need to sort are some decent catches. i know exactly what i want but cant seem to find anywhere selling them. :angry-banghead:
When I made my drawers 5 years ago I used stainless slam latches from this place: http://faparkes.epicoriscala.com/ Have a search in their latches and catches section, they may have something to suit. My catches are still going strong after much use over the years.

Sam im not sure how well suited door latches/locks and handles are for this sort of application, sorry. :|

i think a normal 3 or 5 lever mortice lock, which im guessing is the sort of thing you were thinking of will be 2 big for drawer systems.

the only other use ive seen for door locks, is site safes which have mortice dead locks fitted. :think:

you could use the locks like ive used, or the ones in the link Scott posted. :thumbup:

how are the drawers looking? anymore progress?

really must get mine finished. :)

I'll get some more done in the morning ben - hopefully with pics too!

Don't get too excited... but there will at least be a drawer :thumbup:

Sam how about these?

Attachments

• 1278393765519_hz-myalibaba-temp14_1514.jpg
    1278393765519_hz-myalibaba-temp14_1514.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 957
  • Paddle-Handle-Rotary-latch-lock-GS-231-LA-251-2.jpg
    Paddle-Handle-Rotary-latch-lock-GS-231-LA-251-2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Paddle-Handle--latch-lock-JQ-390-242-2.jpg
    Paddle-Handle--latch-lock-JQ-390-242-2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 840
  • Paddle-Handle-Latch-Lock-JQ-300AY.jpg
    Paddle-Handle-Latch-Lock-JQ-300AY.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 886
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I used a pair of compression T-latches:

http://gsf-promounts.com/products/Flush ... latch.html

the compression bit is a god send- i sealed the part where the drawere meets the body with some neoprene foam- and the compression latch puls it all tight- which means when you have a lot of vibration nothing moves and wears and you reduce rattles.

The good thing about these T-latches is that they can also be used one handed which is perfect when you are trying to pull out a heavy drawer.

Oh the locks can have matched keys too which is always useful....

Jon Wildsmith said:
Where are those available from then Olazz?

Doff!!

Sorry should have read the OP properly. Know a guy that imports to order any of those bits. As usual bits are manufactured in China.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions & tips :thumbup:

I'll keep this updated with whatever ends up stuck on the front! :lol:

Olazz,

I like those polished T-Handle ones. Have any idea on prices and availability and where I can order them?

David

Back