Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Calling the box doctor ( J W )

joinerman

Garage
Iv'e had my 94 with the A442f box for nearly seven years now & ever since iv'e had it it's had a problem, when i slow down to turn into a left hand turning or slow down to around 15 mph as i accelerate again i get a " flare " like it's in neutral & then it slides into gear with no bangs or clunks just smoothly into gear, if i move the shift stick from D to 2 as i slow down it never does it, in all other respects it's spot on, silky smooth changes, it's done it for the last 50k & not got any worse, if there's a simple cheap fix then i'll do something about it otherwise it will have to stay like it, curious on your thoughts.

Post up a picture of your throttle cable/gearbox cable with the rubber seal on the sleeve end pulled away. There is a small crimped noggin on the cable for the gearbox, it should sit about 1.5mm from the end of the threaded part. If not it will do all sorts of weird things.

Also might be worth checking the bushings on the stick selector at the box end, they have a habit of wearing out too.

This thing
1007803466_73fjY-L.gif

Have you checked the electronic TPS on the injector pump? I can't remember for sure but there's probably a procedure for testing it in the FSM and I know Julian has a little harness he plugs into them for testing. The TPS may be misleading the ECU, does it make any difference if you accelerate hard?

Hi Dave,

John, havn't tested the tps but iv'e tried adjusting it ( marked up first ) so i could put it back as it was, didn't make any difference just the changes a bit harsher & if i accelorate harder it just flares harder.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TPS was the only sensible idea I had, maybe it's a software fault. I guess you've searched other forums for similar symptoms and not come up with anything besides DaveN ?

Do you get any differences when hot or cold?

Is it only happening at low speed?

Is it only left hand turns?

I assume oil is clean and levels are correct when checked with engine running?

It sounds like either a 1st to 2nd change issue - by going from D to 2 you prevent the box from dropping right down to 1st gear or similar to a low oil level issue I have come across with another similar box.

It seems like the box actually drops to 1st gear at low speeds, and then when hitting the gas the revs come up to catch up with roadspeed, then decides it should be in 2nd gear.

DaveN said:
It seems like the box actually drops to 1st gear at low speeds, and then when hitting the gas the revs come up to catch up with roadspeed, then decides it should be in 2nd gear.

OK DaveN, possibly best to deal with yours on a separate thread, but whilst we are here it doesn't sound too abnormal - mine does something similar but seems to pause before changing up - it tends to be worse if the oil hasn't been changed for a while.

Julian, makes no difference wether it's hot or cold, changed fluid a couple of times & level is corect, it happens at slow speeds as i said, i used a left turn as an example it does it anytime i slow to around 15-20mph but if i knock the stick back to 2 just before i slow to that speed & straight back to D all is fine.

mine does that too.
has been the same for the last 25,000 miles.
didn't change by altering the tps, kickdown cable or by changing the oil (twice). mine also doesnt do it if i shift into 2.
i guess its one of the quirks of the box. it can be annoying though, especially at junctions etc.

I know it's an old thread, but my '94 has done the same thing since I bought it in 2005. That particular quirk never seemed to get any worse, but mine has developed a few other issues which I'm in the middle of trying to sort out - enjoying a few ATF showers. Just ordered a new throttle cable (some call it the kickdown cable) which looks a right bar steward to fit. Happy days.

The 'when turning left' throws me! The only thing happening when turning left is perhaps the fluid moving to one side in the pan and uncovering a part of the valve chest right? So, I have seen cars have the wrong dipstick fitted giving incorrect levels inside the gearbox. So is it possible the mechanical/electronic gearboxes (both are fitted on the LC) have different dipsticks and yours has been changed for whatever reason and you have the wrong one? Only ever seen something similar on the way more modern Ford Focus, indicate left and the auto gearbox ECU throws a wobbler, it is a bad earth that the gearbox shares with the left hand light cluster. Now I know the LC have both a mechanical AND electronic versions of auto gearbox, is there any way there could be a connection (no pun intended) grasping at straws here, many say they have experienced it and lived with it, soooooo....

regards

Dave

Back