Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

cambelt service

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
on a Subaru forester today.

not a Landcruiser!.. sorry... our Fozzie has done 116k, and due its 2nd cambelt change.
i decided to replace the crank seal, thermostat&gasket and waterpump&gasket, tensioner and 3x idler pullys& bolts whilst i had things in bits, and change oil/filter and coolant.

took me 6hrs... a few rusty bolts on cambelt cover needed irwin stud extractors.
changing the belt and ancillarys on a flatfour boxer engine a lot more work than on a 1KZTE engine, on which i have changed 2 belts/tensioners in the past.
terrified as usual when turning the ignition key after triple checking everthing and manually turning engine via a breaker bar on crank to make sure marks still aligned.
engine didnt eat itself and drove 5 miles ok, had a slight coolant leak on a small coolant hose, so replaced the hose clip and seems ok now,

landcrusier so much easier and quicker to do! compared to the subaru
so a day spent doing it to save on lots to £££ for the garage to do the work.... yes I'm a yorkshireman...

You're right about the cruiser belt change being easier by far! I've done various over the years! Bottom line is that the Landcruiser has been designed to be quick and easy. And the tensioner clamped back by a small alun key is just superb... everything lined up, pull the alun key out - all tensioned and off you go!

Back