Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camper!

Its all a compromise i reckon , non of them does everything well . That for me is the appeal of a trailer , you can leave it at home and take the family out shopping and if things get tight off road you can unhook it and recover it (as long as its not a full blown 5 star hotel on wheels) . But it's still a compromise .

Hi, I 100% agree, I feel we have to get past the " all in truck" thoughts, I made my mind up years ago, the truck is the transport/ off Roader, what you take in your truck as far as accommodation is concerned,is what you don't want to do without , (cooking and camping gear) and I think most of us get that, I don't have a trailer but that could be the way forward if you take the family along and need a few creature comforts. I went to the Allrad in Germany in 2014 an had had my socks blown off by the trucks there, but the huge compromise was that absolutely not one overland truck there did everything, it's all a trade off. My own preference is a 'Froader with lightweight camping gear, with the exception of chairs and camp beds, top quality and comfortable, works for me and my old duchess. Best regards, Bill Westley

I have recently been idly pursuing the thought of a simple tough commercial vehicle based camper truck with off tarmac ability, mild off road, that had the capacity to tow a trailer that could carry my 80 which would be kitted out for nights away from the base vehicle, best of both worlds and assuming I win the euro billions :)

Many years ago after I completed my national service and was finishing my diesel apprenticeship I had the idea to purchase a Samil 100 and equip it with a container converted to be a accommodation pod, the container could be unloaded and the truck used to earn currency if needed, I was also going to carry a trail bike the easier to get into towns for daily needs shopping and the idea was to use the combination to explore the 3rd world regions of the world.

Then I got married and suddenly had be serious and get a real job and stop dreaming, I have long regretted that choice.

I have often thought that the tatra 815 in the 4x4 model makes a great platform. Size, capable, comfortable.

Spares availability might be a bit of a problem in far flung places. Here's a nice, simple MB for sale that might be easier to keep going in that respect, but not sure if it would have the high speed diffs fitted, so progress could be a bit leisurely.
http://www.xor.org.uk/clive/nomadsale01.pdf

Keeping it simple :lol:

dsc_0265.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a 712 Pinzgauer (6x6 petrol) - great truck, and the load bed in the back is 10 feet long x 5 feet wide. Makes a good base camper for 2 people if you don't mind it being basic, big limitation was the on road speed and noise - cruising speed really 55 mph and lots of engine and transmission noise. More than 250/300 miles in a day was hard work. Thirsty too - mid to high teens mpg. The 710 pictured (4x4) is quicker and better on fuel (relatively) but load bed is much shorter... I've seen a couple done as one man campers.

Current Sprinter 4x4 is nowhere near as cool nor as capable, but cruises all day at 65/70 mph and is capable enough to go where you wouldn't take a traditional camper van. It'll do for now...

I can't find a dropside camper , i'm thinking a 6x6x6ft box with cooker , fridge and storage down one side and table and chairs glued to the wall on the other so when the side is dropped you get 6x12ft floor space . And it would fit on the back of most pickup trucks i would imagine .

I can't find a dropside camper , i'm thinking a 6x6x6ft box with cooker , fridge and storage down one side and table and chairs glued to the wall on the other so when the side is dropped you get 6x12ft floor space . And it would fit on the back of most pickup trucks i would imagine .

Something akin to this?

frontview.jpg

Yes and no Ed but oddly enough this is something i thought up while my trailer was in the design phase . As you i ended up with something similar to your pic perhaps because i could find nothing available that lent itself to the build idea .
For the same reason i can only offer my own scribble aimed at getting the idea across
mojo drunk 004.JPG

I'm quite happy with what i've got mind but there will always be a niggling at the back of my head saying i could have made it better if i had built it from the ground up .

image-jpeg.51104.jpg

The one I posted in some ways was close to your thoughts - a box that sides fold down. In this case the sides folded up to create the roof, and then the beds pulled out and down.

Imagine a canvas tilt with sides that open up, and you're pretty close.

The other thing is the "why did I do things this way question" - I've got that going on at the moment with my trailer as well...

The one I posted in some ways was close to your thoughts - a box that sides fold down. In this case the sides folded up to create the roof, and then the beds pulled out and down.
Imagine a canvas tilt with sides that open up, and you're pretty close.
The other thing is the "why did I do things this way question" - I've got that going on at the moment with my trailer as well...

Ah right brilliant i never found that one , we could be into thread jack territory here but to my mind its all relevant because the ultimate overland vehicle would be the good doctors Tardis .

And so i will say the other issue i had with the box design is i feel height is a hindrance , car , trailer or truck its going to lean on uneven ground . These guys recognized the issue that worries me and so laid some waffle boards which is all well and good on a slow technical section but i find it all too easy to imagine encountering the same phenomenon unawares on a fairly open track and ending up with a cabriolet camper as a result :shock:

Here's another , a 50 grand camper and watch the right hand side (as you look at your screen) when the obstacle is over and everyone is relaxed . It may be a trailer but any high flat side vehicle would be prone to the same risk

we could be into thread jack territory here but to my mind its all relevant because the ultimate overland vehicle would be the good doctors Tardis .

Never fear we are still on topic discussing campers ;)

It has been interesting seeing how this thread has developed and some of the things people have found and shared, also the potential to discuss different ideas.

Jeez Shayne - did you see that on the George Clarke Amazing Spaces thing, I think - looked like a complete death trap. Cool use of space though... ;-)

I found it today for the first time Dave , its not for me but ideas lead to ideas .

I posted on the comfort v practical thread about how impressed i was with old Bedford campers , and just now i have found the embodiment of my vision .

I think this or something very similar would keep me and swmbo happy http://sportsmobile.com/ultimate-adventure/

Looks like my Sprinter 4x4 on steroids! Cool looking camper...

Back