Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camping, Iceland!

jskipper89

Hello everyone!

I'm an AUstralian, looking to do some hiking/camping round Iceland within the next few weeks (from approx 20th till 26th of July).

I'm not planning on taking alot of camping gear, probably just a decent sleeping bag and a decent pair of shoes.

I was wondering (a) what else would be essential? (i'm going with friends, so assume food isnt a real concern - we'll be able to sort that out as a group). (b) is there a "budget" camping shop in iceland? (in Australia you can get crappy camping gear (ie tent), for around $20AUD, mattress for $8AUD). and (c) is there anyone on here from Iceland, that would be able to lend me some old camping gear for a few days? (in exchange for some money)

Any help would be appreciated, Cheers!

jskipper89 said:
(c) is there anyone on here from Iceland, that would be able to lend me some old camping gear for a few days? (in exchange for some money)

Any help would be appreciated, Cheers!

Hi there and welcome.

There is an Icelandic Member with the site name "Kolbeinn" on another LC site who might be able to help out (the site is a bit of a 'dirty word' on here, though a lot of us are members of both :whistle: ).

See here : http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11829&highlight=iceland

Good luck with the trip, it sounds great :thumbup: .

Bob.

Thanks for the BobMurphy, I just signed up and PM'd him.

Whilst I'm on here, I may aswell ask, as a general question; How would you spend 2.5 - 3 weeks around Norway, Finland, Sweden and Denmark?

jskipper89 said:
Thanks for the BobMurphy, I just signed up and PM'd him.
Whilst I'm on here, I may aswell ask, as a general question; How would you spend 2.5 - 3 weeks around Norway, Finland, Sweden and Denmark?
Depends on how you travel, and what you like.
Denmark has the beer, Finland the lakes and vodka, Sweden the culture and Norway the nature and wilderness.
By car, LC, air, bicycle, foot, train/bus, ship, boat, kajak???

jskipper89 said:
How would you spend 2.5 - 3 weeks around Norway, Finland, Sweden and Denmark?

Touring on my BMW R1150 GS 'Adventure' :lol: .

I was there in July 2007, a neighbour and I went to stay with a friend in Sweden. We rode there from Stavanger in Norway, spent a week in Sweden then returned via Denmark & Norway.

I have never been so wet in my life :doh: There was so much rain a woman drowned in her car in a motorway underpass :o .

That apart they are fascinating countries. We did the touristy and 'not-so-touristy' things like motor, railway, marine & aircraft museums, country parks, cultural centres, Heritage Museums, drooling over 'classic' wooden boats in little harbours, admiring the scenery & seeing how a country can be run when you have a small population who care about their heritage & lifestyle.

The 10-mile long Oresund Bridge between Sweden & Denmark is amazing.

If you like 'art', a visit to Skagen on the North East tip of Denmark is a must :thumbup: .

Sweden & Denmark can be a bit flat & Norway is mountainous - well, I think it is, the clouds never lifted above a couple of hundred feet :lol: .

One day I must do the run to Nordcapp (though I believe its over-rated as an attraction).

It all depends on what you like doing.

Bob.

BobMurphy said:
... & Norway is mountainous - well, I think it is, the clouds never lifted above a couple of hundred feet :lol: .
One day I must do the run to Nordcapp (though I believe its over-rated as an attraction).
Bob.
Yes, it can be rainy & cloudy. There is actually (changing) weather in Norway. There is no "safe" season. Just be prepared, and you're ok. (There is no bad weather, just bad clothing) To bad with the view tho'.

North Cape - is actually not the northernmost point on the European mainland - it's on an island, and not even the northernmost point on that island. The northernmost point of the European mainland is on the peninsula "Nordkynhalvøya" to the east of North Cape, and is called "Kinnarodden". You get there by walking 6-8 hours each way from "Mehamn".

The North Cape plateau is a nice piece of rock though, when it's not too foggy or windy :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Denmark has the beer
- That sounds like a good start!

I'm looking to do a mixture of outdoor activities, depending on cost/weather.

As i'm coming from Iceland, I'll probably land in Norway, then check out Oslo and Bergen.. before working my way across Sweden and Finland, and finishing in Denmark before flying back to London to meet up with my friend.

jskipper89 said:
I'm looking to do a mixture of outdoor activities, depending on cost/weather.

The cost of living is quite high in Scandanavia - I suggest you check some prices on-line to avoid surprises :thumbup: .

Maybe UHU can give us some pointers.

Bob.

jskipper89 said:
.... I'll probably land in Norway, then check out Oslo and Bergen.. before working my way across Sweden and Finland, and finishing in Denmark before flying back to London to meet up with my friend.
Bergen & Oslo are not representative of Norway, they just like any town. Well, Bergen is a bit more than that, and very nice people there (I'm not from Bergen).
Go north: e.g. Lofoten, Finnmark, or at least the mountains. If you want (Nowegian) citylife, then Tromsø and Bergen are top choices. In Tromsø there is still midnight sun for another two weeks.

Back