Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can i run different type batteries?

Geordie Paul

Garage
Hi All,

Sorry i am pestering for more help :oops: I have an odyssey PC1700 battery and wondered if it will cause any problems if i remove one of the toyota batteries and replace it with the odyssey? Provided it fits will this do the electrical system any harm? It is still a 12v battery.

I really want to keep the odyssey battery as i plan to fit a winch and this battery has proved itself time again on my last truck.

Thanks for any help :thumbup:

I'm sure both our Colorado & my 80 had mismatched batteries when I got them - so long as they're rated properly I can't see why the manufacturer should cause problems... :cool:

The batteries ideally need to be matched - they run in parrallel most of the time so you can end up with a weaker battery dragging down a stronger one.

On that basis it is always best to have the batteries matched in terms of type and rating and also if one is on it's way out replace both.

As for replacement batteries, never dismiss the dealers - in most instances Toyota batteries tend to be cheaper than most.

Batteries connected in parallel ought to be a matched pair.
The reason is that the charge-level will correspond to a different voltage on different batteries. Because of the parallel connection, the voltage is forced to be the same on the two, so that means the charge-level will be different.

Since the charge level is different on the two batteries, that means that one of them will never be fully charged.
The curve describing the relationship between the charge-level (chemistry) and the voltage will be different for two different batteries. That means that the distribution of the load on the two batteries will change as the voltage go down. That leads to that the max amp (e.g. CCA) you can draw will be lower if they are not matched.
Even when the batteries are resting, when the car is parked, the batteries will try to "help" each other. The one with the higher voltage at a certain charge-level will boost the other one.
Over time (months/years), the curve for charge-level vs voltage will change; and that change will be different for two different batteries.

All in all, it's not that crucial, but better to have it matched. There is normally enough capacity and current available, so no big deal. But for the perfect set-up, and longevity, it is better with a matched pair. And then there are different types of batteries, of which some are more equal than others.

Thanks very much for the info. In the end i could not let the truck go with a £280 battery on it so a swapped them :shh: I will just have to save up and eventually replace the other toyota battery with an odyssey :thumbup: I will be fitting the winch soon so it seemed best to keep the odyssey.

However the L200 did not start so well with the LCs battery :shh: :shifty: I told its new owner the truth and he did not mind, he said he would get as long as he could out of it and then change it :thumbup:

Why not remove one of the Yota batteries & fit the Odyssey in its place but as a dedicated deep cycle, accessory & winching battery. Then fit a clever split charge system into the original wiring to keep the two batteries seperate. Just using one of the original Yota batteries as the main starting battery & putting the other Yota battery away in the shed as a spare for when the one in use dies :thumbup:

Does that all make sense :think: :?:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have always fancied an IBS split charge, will look into that one mate! Thanks.

The other toyota battery has now been sold on the l200 :thumbup:

Back