Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can overfilling Diff fluids damage anything

workshop screw up
Agree Jake. This garage is also very close to my home. I drive through that road many times but instead of correcting if they screw it up again its another headache. Despite giving them correct oil specs, torque settings and instructins from service manual, they screwed it up. They are just not capable or not bothered. It feels like Landcruiser is shouting at me to learn something and take care of it myself :)

they screwed it up. They are just not capable or not bothered. It feels like Landcruiser is shouting at me to learn something and take care of it myself :)

@Raj .... Raj, assumig that the 200 is not too disimilar to an 80, you'll find it's not that difficult. It's actually one of those jobs I prefer to do myself, then at least you know the right spec oil has been used!. The two basic things I would always suggest, is make sure can crack the filler plug first and use a 6 point socket, not 12, as the heads on the drain and filler plugs often have a shallow profile and easily strip!

Last edited:
Dear All, I am again struck at oil type here again. :)
For the diff oil, went into the Rough Trax link, pasted by Rob but they say its not compatible for my car as this 75w85 is GL-5 but LT spec oil. I re-read all the posts on this thread and Bmonk's suggestion striked. Started looking what different oil is there and found out that there are two different 75w85 oils. The LX and LT.
My owners manual says LT spec. My biggest next doubt - does my car has LSD, diffLock or std?
I checked some youtube videos, lifted the car and did the LSD test but only one tyre was rotating after lifting. As suggested, both tyres are not moving. one tye and prop-shaft/drive shaft is rotating.

Please suggest how to make two tyres rotate or how to do the LSD test correctly?

or even easier does anyone directly know if 2014 model 200 series in UK comes with LSD or difflock or std?
LX GL-5 75W85 - 42.99£ per litre
LT GL-5 75W85 - 14£ per litre

1652383058674.png

On mine there is a centre difflock which is below and to the right of the steering wheel. The axle diff locks are replaced by the crawl control mode which I think plays with the ABS to transfer power between wheels to extricate you from whatever you've driven into.

My 2012 one doesn't have a limited slip diff.

If you Google "differential gear oil lt 75w-85 gl-5", it suggests the LT is just a reference to Toyota and you can buy an equivalent 75W-85 oil from someone like Westway lubricants for £30 for 5 litres.

Amazon have Toyota stuff

More Googling suggests that the LX oil is for LSD.

If you take a picture of the diff we will see if theres a difflock? Also I think LSD's have a sticker on them (if its survived) saying to use LSD compatible oil only...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think Roughtrax site is wrong. You could ping them a mail to confirm. Also if you click on "Vehicle Compatibility" for that oil, with a VDJ200R selected it says it's good! Not saying you should buy from them, but also don't be immediately put off by that (first) compatibility warning. I'd trust my handbook more.

1652428864531.png

Hi Rob. Dear All thank you for advice. For some reason site was not working for me so didnt check my messages. Yes agree RoughTrax was confusing me. Even owners manual also stated LT 75w-85 so I ordered this same oil you pasted the link on from them. I also have new washers now.
Last week I went to show the car to Job for AHC and this diff leak. He checked it and the diff was leaking as the rear diff oil fill plug was not even tightened it came off straight away by pulling with hand. Jon had a new washer so he tightened it and suggested oil is low so better change or refill.
After that I decided never to go to new mechanics and do things myself. This sunday I tried to change the oils but the front diff fill plug was so tight. After trying for half an hour I abandoned the plan and kept it for next saturday. :)

Is your front diff plug the Allen key type, the same as on the 120? If so, make sure your bit is a good fit in there and pushed all the way home - they are easy to use round off to a when the bit isn't pushed fully home or the wrong size is used.

Once your sure the bit is in, if you need more torce use a bigger bar, or tap the end of your existing bar with a bfh to break it loose.

What tools are you using?

Hey Raj. I feel a certain kinship between us with our approach to tooling and jobs. Game changer for me was a Worx Impact wrench (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6KPEL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for both undoing things - upto 300Nm! - and retightening (lowest setting is finger tight). Of course to get correct torque a handheld wrench is still required. Combined with a set of impact sockets KATSU 1/2" Impact Deep Socket Set 10Pcs 10-24mm Drive Cr-Mo Steel for Automotive and DIY Tasks + Carrying Case : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] and adaptors for my existing sockets https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MR1SZFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and extensions https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0872N3YDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm able to take on most one man jobs, and the rattle of the impacts does a great job of working on rusty / seized bolts instead of me rounding the heads using force by breaker bars etc.

Last edited:
Karl yes its the 10 number hex type. I have halfords advanced tool kit.

Ah I have the same - nice tools - I like doing jobs just so I can use them!

The 10mm hex bit was a good fit on the front diff plug for me.

Good luck tomorrow

tooling and jobs
:) yes. I was thinking of Milwauke right angle impact wrench as it is the one that fits into small places like the diff plug. I have halfords torque wrench as well.
I asked for tools in one of my old thread and then purchased them all. Halfords advanced 200pc tool kit, torque wrench, JIS screw drivers, oil filter removal tool etc etc. Only now I started using them.

You shouldnt need an impact on the diff plugs - they should never be that tight.

I like milwaukee tools personally, but get whatever impact wrench you already have the batteries for. milwaukee, dewalt, ryobi - just stay on whatever platform you already have....

This last mechanic was worse than Cradock. He said 10 liters 5 litre each front and rear. Today I went to my old mechanic and changed rear diff oil. There was no washer at all on rear drain plug. I added washers and did the job perfectly exact 4.2 litre. Front diff fill and drain plugs were so tight, even my old mechanic could not open them. He suggested to take it back to the garage that fitted and lets see how they ll open as there is risk of rounding off the bolts if we try too hard. May be due to over filling, now the front diff is leaking oil from the left drive shaft seal.
Now I understand why most of you work on landcruisers on your own :)

Be interesting to see what they say when you take it back! Maybe they tightened it so much because there's no washers on there either!

Back