Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can overfilling Diff fluids damage anything

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
workshop screw up
Agree Jake. This garage is also very close to my home. I drive through that road many times but instead of correcting if they screw it up again its another headache. Despite giving them correct oil specs, torque settings and instructins from service manual, they screwed it up. They are just not capable or not bothered. It feels like Landcruiser is shouting at me to learn something and take care of it myself :)

Bodie

Country Flag
great_britain
they screwed it up. They are just not capable or not bothered. It feels like Landcruiser is shouting at me to learn something and take care of it myself :)

@Raj .... Raj, assumig that the 200 is not too disimilar to an 80, you'll find it's not that difficult. It's actually one of those jobs I prefer to do myself, then at least you know the right spec oil has been used!. The two basic things I would always suggest, is make sure can crack the filler plug first and use a 6 point socket, not 12, as the heads on the drain and filler plugs often have a shallow profile and easily strip!

Last edited:

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Dear All, I am again struck at oil type here again. :)
For the diff oil, went into the Rough Trax link, pasted by Rob but they say its not compatible for my car as this 75w85 is GL-5 but LT spec oil. I re-read all the posts on this thread and Bmonk's suggestion striked. Started looking what different oil is there and found out that there are two different 75w85 oils. The LX and LT.
My owners manual says LT spec. My biggest next doubt - does my car has LSD, diffLock or std?
I checked some youtube videos, lifted the car and did the LSD test but only one tyre was rotating after lifting. As suggested, both tyres are not moving. one tye and prop-shaft/drive shaft is rotating.

Please suggest how to make two tyres rotate or how to do the LSD test correctly?

or even easier does anyone directly know if 2014 model 200 series in UK comes with LSD or difflock or std?
LX GL-5 75W85 - 42.99£ per litre
LT GL-5 75W85 - 14£ per litre

1652383058674.png

guyc

Country Flag
great_britain
On mine there is a centre difflock which is below and to the right of the steering wheel. The axle diff locks are replaced by the crawl control mode which I think plays with the ABS to transfer power between wheels to extricate you from whatever you've driven into.

My 2012 one doesn't have a limited slip diff.

If you Google "differential gear oil lt 75w-85 gl-5", it suggests the LT is just a reference to Toyota and you can buy an equivalent 75W-85 oil from someone like Westway lubricants for £30 for 5 litres.

Amazon have Toyota stuff

More Googling suggests that the LX oil is for LSD.

karl2000

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
If you take a picture of the diff we will see if theres a difflock? Also I think LSD's have a sticker on them (if its survived) saying to use LSD compatible oil only...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
I think Roughtrax site is wrong. You could ping them a mail to confirm. Also if you click on "Vehicle Compatibility" for that oil, with a VDJ200R selected it says it's good! Not saying you should buy from them, but also don't be immediately put off by that (first) compatibility warning. I'd trust my handbook more.

1652428864531.png