Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can’t undo top shock nut

Kdawg19

Country Flag
uk
Just a thought before I fetch the angry spiny machine , does anyone know an easy ish way to undo the top nuts on the rear shocks of a 90 ? It just keeps spinning and I can’t get a ratchet in there

I had the same problem on my 80 and found it easier (bolts more accessible) to remove the mounting plates along with the shock.

I had the same problem on my 80 and found it easier (bolts more accessible) to remove the mounting plates along with the shock.

It's not the same on the 90 TP, it doesn't have the mounting plate ( as I remember).
If its in a state, just wiggle it about until it fatigues and breaks.

I got the right side one off ok , but the left seems to have less room to swing the spanner for lack of a better word , and I can’t stop it from spinning

If you get a flat spanner on the bolt you can rotate the shock. If not reusing the shock cutting the top bolt is the faster solution. They are not in a nice spot!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Same problem with my old surf years back.....get the grinder out.....just make sure you cut the stubs short so you can wiggle the end bit out of the hole.....

Yh I’ve got replacement shocks so I think that ole mr angle grinder is getting fed tomorrow

@Kdawg19
Some 90's have a small hole sealed with a rubber bung in the floor pan of the rear cargo area, located above the rear strut nut, to allow for easy access. Could be easier to see if you have that before getting too jiggy with it. I don't know if all 90's have them.

Update … success

Attachments

• 46241AA3-2B9E-48F7-B996-A292B14A134B.jpeg
    46241AA3-2B9E-48F7-B996-A292B14A134B.jpeg
    739.5 KB · Views: 22
Back