Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Car park heights

warrenpfo

Are all car parks the same height or at least the same minimum height in the UK?

A figure of 2.1m comes to mind but I’m not sure if they are all the same. Lastly are they required by law to give you the min height on a sign outside the entrance?

For obvious reasons I need to know due to the increased height of my vehicle.

i need a sign on my garage enterance... after my CB antennae incident last week....

I would go as far as saying most people don’t know the actual height width and clearance of there vehicle. I plan to have a little sticker made up for in the car just so I have it to hand.

Are all car parks the same height or at least the same minimum height in the UK?

A figure of 2.1m comes to mind but I’m not sure if they are all the same. Lastly are they required by law to give you the min height on a sign outside the entrance?

For obvious reasons I need to know due to the increased height of my vehicle.

I don't know if they are required by law to state min height, :confusion-confused: but I would think they leave themselves wide open to damage claims if they don't warn you by displaying min height. :think:

The lowest I've seen is 1.8m Don't think they can get much lower as people would start bashing their head.

As for displaying the height, it's private property so could be up to them? Guessing you could argue a claim though if it is not displayed and you hit the roof.

I've got one in Enfield which I could not get the 120 in to. It stated 1.83 as a height. I took the 150 in there on Saturday and my gawd it is close. I also noticed no Disco's or range rovers so think I might have been a bit close.... I think it was luck I did not hit any of the pipe work or CCTV cameras.
The 120 I would happily take into anything that said 2.0 or over. I could still clip the CCTV though :lol:
I also owe B&Q some money for new lights after a CB incident :whistle:

I went in to one in Surrey somewhere which had clatter boards to warn you... I had a lift and roof rack fitted. The boards were clear so I went in... well you can guess the rest ... :angry-cussing:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ouch.

I helped a woman in the Lake district in a Honda CRV with a roof box on. She drove in, got wedged as the roof lowered but refused to realise there was a problem. She just kept trying to go forward in the hopes that the problem would sort itself out. One very crushed roof box, lots of crushed contents :clap:

I borrowed my friends jacked up lwb trooper with a normal 2 bar clamp-on roofrack for a while a few years back and while driving into a multistorey carpark it suddenly occurred to me as I went under the height bar that I didn't know the height.. I slammed my brakes on and got out of the car to see the front bar had already cleared with an inch to spare. So taking a deep sigh of relief I got back in the car, put my foot on the gas and promptly ripped the rear bar right off mangling his gutter in the process.. :doh:

Most "public" car parks (even on private land) IME have clatter boards or at least a sign warning you of the maximum height. Most multistorey car parks are between 1.85 and 2.1m - even some of the "open" car parks have height restrictions to prevent vans and other goods vehicles parking in them.

Since I've had the Ironman SL on my truck, it's prevented me from using half the multistorey car parks I used to.....

Last edited:
You think you have it bad - try parking my Landy in a town sometime.....

4493698312_1c0a714f56.jpg

For reference its 9ft high (2.7m) and 7ft wide. Multistories might be interesting.....

I've measured my 95 with a set of roof bars that sit across the rails at 1.94m high. I refuse to attempt less than a 2m clearance, even still I have clipped an exit sign or two!

As for car parks, there's a huge variety from 1.8 to 2.1 metres, but Paris is a disaster as every underground car park is 1.9m. it took me ages to find on street parking!!

Last edited:
I forgot about my mountain bikes one day when I lived near Newbury; I wanted to get to the Youth Centre that I worked at off of Northbrook Street but forgot about the bus only system... tried to use the car park to turn round in and didn't even think of it as a problem with a normal estate car... luckily I scratched the saddle on my bike, and broke the mounting for the bike rack to the cross bars... Volvo roof rails and Thule Roof Bars are a pretty tough combination!

In Aus I rarely found it a problem with our 73 that was on a 2" lift, but that's because most car parks there are 2.5m

I have my roof tent and jerries on my 80 permanently. At 2.7m high, I don't get into any multi stories. :)

I've measured my 95 with a set of roof bars that sit across the rails at 1.94m high. I refuse to attempt less than a 2m clearance, even still I have clipped an exit sign or two!

As for car parks, there's a huge variety from 1.8 to 2.1 metres, but Paris is a disaster as every underground car park is 1.9m. it took me ages to find on street parking!!
Same for Madrid.
Any thing bigger than a mini, is seen a a big car, and almost impossible to find parking.
I found many of the Madrid multistory car parks, spiral downwards, below ground.

Gra.

Back