Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Carputer.....Well,notebook

Chris, had you thought about a MAC mini, I think there is garmin for MAC. Or perhaps fusion with xp running memory map, you can have it in fusion mode with a mm icon on desk top. Then audio out to am amp to speakers and do away with car stereo. Maybe even 3 g card to MAC for internet etc
You can get dedicated external 12v power supplies in the US
I have looked into it but not sure its worth the faf

I actually have MM running on my iphone already. It's terrific - for the areas that I have bought the maps. Obviously rather small though. Not thought about Mac Mini etc, it all sorts to get a bit computery when you go in that direction. I do enough of that already. I'd rather just have normal GPS stuck to the windscreen, but you don't get the same level of mapping. One of these Notmacs on an arm with MM running would be as much as I'd want to faddle about with. I see that most aren't Bluetooth at the bottom end, but I have a BT dongle. I presume that I could get my iphone to double as the GPS sender via BT?

Get rid of stereo? I've just put a DAB head unit in!!!!!!! :o

On the subject of 3G, does anyone know where I might actually get a 3G signal? What a load of rubbish. When I get ti, it is fast, but 90% of the time, there's nothing. I am on Vodabone and have very little signal at home. But TODAY I go back to BT and get fibre-optic. I can then have a Vodabone Sure Signal box that gives me full signal and full 3G in my home. Now I might not miss as many calls.

Chris

Well, I went to Tesco today and looked at the range of Netbooks and frankly whilst not the highest spec in the World, the little e-book thing at £159 was one of the best put together and usable on the display so I bought one. Busy trying to resolve all the PC issues that a Mac doesn't have! Macs seem to know what you are trying to do and do it for you. Connecting to my hidden network is a 2 second job for a Mac. Just taken half an hour to do that. Anyway got Firefox up and running so it's looking more familiar now. Going to make a flexi arm mount coming off the seat bracket probably.

Let's see what it's like when we get the mapping on it.

I did exactly the same (even from Tescos) and had a coupleof issues.
The main one was MM does not like Windows 7 (if thats what its using) and had trouble with the GPS antenna but managed to get some special drivers to overcome this (see TonyP) :thumbup:

Cheers Paul, much appreciated. Still trying to remember how to navigate around a PC. I know that in an application they're mostly the same, but language, routes to things etc are all different. Been going around in circles - getting there now.

Hope TonyP is on standby....

Chris

Chris said:
Cheers Paul, much appreciated. Still trying to remember how to navigate around a PC. I know that in an application they're mostly the same, but language, routes to things etc are all different. Been going around in circles - getting there now.

Hope TonyP is on standby....

Chris

Hello you rang? Give me a shout if you need anything Chris.... You have much credit owed by me... :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers TP. I shall get a GPS pinger thingy from t'bay and get MM loaded up and see what gives. Trying to get it to see an external drive at the second.

Really is pretty neat, had Skype running already.

Chris

Cool. Yeah I like netbooks, but I find the screens a bit small for regulat use... I do think in this specific application it will be a great tool :thumbup:

seems like a much cheaper option than a dedicated car-pc. think i might have to invest too if it works well with gps :)

I'll let you know. Done about a million Windows updates yesterday. Must have been in the box for a couple of weeks at the shop :lol:

It all seems to work pretty well. Having a few issues with the bluetooth dongle which isn't a must have, but seeing as I have one and the NB doesn't have it built in. Skype seems to work with the built in camera.

Stuck Open Office on there too just in case.

Chris

Back