Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Carrying spares on a long trip

mettisse

Supporter
For a few years I have included in my spares kit Electrical repair spares.( especially as my bruiser being an automatic, no tow start) I believed that if my starter motor gave up on a trip I would be able to effect a repair because I had the offending replacement parts with me. Well, to be fair, I could/ would have been able to “ get out of trouble”. A week ago my starter finally gave up in the traditional way in that kept running after the engine had started, it had been playing up for a few weeks but I wasn’t in a position to change right away ( long boring story) I had already bought a replacement from Rough Trax , So now I have no option, it had to be changed. I looked at some U tube vids, I thought “ no big deal” Well, I don’t know if it’s my model ( VX ) but the whole job was hindered by huge wiring loom bundles effectively blocking access to the top stud, it took me eight hours!, ( jack up, wheel off etc) I was over it , under it, a gallon of tea, you realise I’m no spring chicken, but what an ordeal! It’s only when a friend gave a little help that the offending nut removed, and yes I have a comprehensive tool kit. Putting the new on was a doddle, Imagine, being on a nice froading excursion and have this to contend with out in the back and beyond. ( the Duchess tutting and sighing, )
So, my resolve? After an alternator fiasco in Sardinia last year, and now this, I will carry my rebuilt alternator and now carry my rebuilt starter, the stubby socket we used to get the top nut off will be labelled and stored in the car with any other “ special bits”
You can’t beat hands on experience and I now would be able do that job a lot easier, but a real lesson learnt for me in that one can’t assume anything , “ hope for the best, prepare for the worst”
Best regards to all, Bill Westley

You're right about the loom hindering the job. I recently had my starter off for a routine clean and check but as mine is a manual without the wiring, it took me 15 mins - on and off! There is a knack to it and it's made so much easier if you have just the right set of tools to get in there. I carry a spare alternator. Another job that can be an arse but made so much easier if you don't have aircon.

In all of this though, I have to say just how much easier life has become since buying power tools for working on the car. Yes, it's more weight and bulk, but I put the Milwaukee gun in on trips too.

In all of this though, I have to say just how much easier life has become since buying power tools for working on the car. Yes, it's more weight and bulk, but I put the Milwaukee gun in on trips too.[/QUOTE]

Now that sounds like a great idea, although on the starter fastenings weren’t that difficult other than the top nut and stud, my view is that the bolt should be at the top and the stud at the bottom, I know that the motor will hang on the top stud but access is easy at the bottom, but a rattle/ power gun sounds like a probability, thanks,

For the last few years I've been carrying a spare starter motor and alternator. These items can play up and are easy to change. I'd thought of other items to carry but can't think what would fail and be easy to change out of the garage.

The knack to the top nut on the starter is having a 3' 1/2 inch drive extension and a good universal joint. The top nut can be removed easily and quickly while standing in front of the truck.

And use a bungee to hold the bundle of cables up out of the way

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep that as well.
Well that is in fact exactly what I did, my downer is the OME lift, and wobbling on a step to approach from the front, ( great minds eh?) going in from the wheel arch also a winner, now that it’s over, all good, I’ve been gonna do a spares list and where it’s stowed in the car, now that is a priority, we are away in the Ardennes at the moment in the Duch’s Merc, should have gone to Bad Kissingham” in the Bruiser but “ she needs a rest” ( the Duchess) bless her, maybe next year eh? Regards to all

I carry a fair few spares round in the truck, belts, filters, oils, wheel bearings, hoses, I think there's even brake pads in the back somewhere. Just bear in mind you need the tools to change any of these parts. I did consider taking a spare alternator last year to Romania but forgot to order one in the end, would have come in handy not for my sake but for chas's but we got round that issue. Question is when do you stop with the spares? They're all heavy and some stuff like oil is pretty big.

.... I carry a spare alternator. Another job that can be an arse but made so much easier if you don't have aircon....
The aircon compressor is in the way, but it takes 3 mins to remove it. 4 small bolts and swing it out of the way without loosening the hoses.

Yes it does, but even quicker if you don't have to move it at all.

If you look at murphy's law, what ever you don't carry it will break. It is not like there is a shortage of Land cruiser spares anyware in the world or for any model..
I carry the 1 belt the 120 has, 1 L of oil, 1 L of ATF oil , 1 L of antifreeze , some wiring and tools for electrics( some terminals, crimp tool tape, different gauge wire, small things like that ) fuses and OBDII BT diagnostic tool.

If you look at murphy's law, what ever you don't carry it will break. It is not like there is a shortage of Land cruiser spares anyware in the world or for any model..
I carry the 1 belt the 120 has, 1 L of oil, 1 L of ATF oil , 1 L of antifreeze , some wiring and tools for electrics( some terminals, crimp tool tape, different gauge wire, small things like that ) fuses and OBDII BT diagnostic tool.

Good recommendations, thanks, I have travelled lots with similar and some, but, when we went to Sardinia last year, I asked a good friend who is a motor electrician ( yep the old fashioned type) what about the alternator as it’s done a lot of miles, he said, “ has it given any trouble in the last 6 months? “ I said “ no” he said, “ what makes you think it’ll pack up in the next two Weeks?”
Sounds like logic eh? Well it did pack up and I had my work cut out to find one on the island of Sardinia. Also my truck is an auto, and I think now is the time ( I’m old) to carry the spare refurbished motor and alternator. ( to avoid any hassle) thanks to all for the input , just one other thing, I’ve not had one pack up yet, but I think the starter solenoid which sits in the engine bay may not last forever so I think a spare may be in order, the one on my truck was replaced with a 24 volt jobby that is just that, an automotive relay, not a Toyo unit, so a spare is no problem to get or carry, I’ve gotta get one!

I take it any 24v relay that is rated over 150ish amps will do for a starter relay?

Good recommendations, thanks, I have travelled lots with similar and some, but, when we went to Sardinia last year, I asked a good friend who is a motor electrician ( yep the old fashioned type) what about the alternator as it’s done a lot of miles, he said, “ has it given any trouble in the last 6 months? “ I said “ no” he said, “ what makes you think it’ll pack up in the next two Weeks?”
Sounds like logic eh? Well it did pack up and I had my work cut out to find one on the island of Sardinia. Also my truck is an auto, and I think now is the time ( I’m old) to carry the spare refurbished motor and alternator. ( to avoid any hassle) thanks to all for the input , just one other thing, I’ve not had one pack up yet, but I think the starter solenoid which sits in the engine bay may not last forever so I think a spare may be in order, the one on my truck was replaced with a 24 volt jobby that is just that, an automotive relay, not a Toyo unit, so a spare is no problem to get or carry, I’ve gotta get one!

i know of lots who have had the relay fail. you can bypass them as a get me started fix

I take it any 24v relay that is rated over 150ish amps will do for a starter relay?

I dunno, that’s way above my Pay level, maybe someone can enlighten, and yes Karl I’m sure a “ get out of trouble” Hotwire start can be achieved
All great responses, thanks

I don't consider anywhere I'll be going to be far enough or remote enough to be packing too many spares. I do bring a decent but not overkill tool kit that would get me out of all but the stickiest situation (see maintenance post on 4 little sodding bolts!) And an emergency kit of tow strap and jump leads.

I also throw in a litre of oil in case of late night need.. unlikely as it may be. Otherwise I consider the truck to not need anything for the next 4000 miles if I was home, so should be fine in France, Spain, etc. And I won't be too far from a dealer/motor factors anyway. The interesting thing is that I seem to be having difficulty getting European breakdown cover due to the age of the truck.

if you can get phone reception then probably just a roadside assistance membership is all you need, if your in the remote outback with no phone or internet, and on a track that no one else may travel until fk knows when, then water and PLB or EPIRB

Back