Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Casio G-Shock, best model?

Depends what style you want (analogue like you showed or digital) - I quite like the "Riseman", which has the atomic time-setting and is solar-powered. And not as expensive as the Pro-treks which have all the bells and whistles. The Riseman is quite a chunk - dunno how it would compare with the one you showed.
Otherwise there's the Mudman range (9000? series), which is also full digital but a bit simpler than the Riseman. Or the Frogman but that's quite pricey...

Personally I prefer (and have) a Suunto but I am sure the G Shock can also soak up some abuse too.

Andrew

That's like asking how long is a piece of string? I currently have three G-Shocks but I still think the best I've ever owned was my first G-Shock which I brought almost 22 years ago.

The Other John

AKA: The Dark Dude

The atomic time setting and solar-powered is nice on my protrek but the compass is wonky now but it has been abused :) Had a kinetic mudman? before that which lives in a drawer now and checking it now it is still going even though I haven't worn it for 12 months but it doesn't do BST changes on it's own and even allowing for that it's 8 minutes fast already.

I am in the same situation as you in that i am trying to find a watch that does not cost and arm and a leg and is going to last.

Its a tossup between:

Cassio G-shock
Cassio Pro-trek
Sunnto core
Luminox watches (i like very much and is leading the pack as they are simple and not too expensive) http://www.luminox.com/

Here is also a very good watch forum if you are looking for info http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I still have a Traser Titanium but it needs repairing, may go for another one.

The one i put up seems to tick all the boxes for my work in Sudan.

Dual time zone
Alarm (as there wont be mobile phones, thats what i use now)
Single colour so it wont stand out
Tough enough for the conditions (high 40's) and dust........lots of dust
Rubber strap

I may take my Omega with me next time but they want 16 weeks to service it!

I stick with the "tried and tested" Rolex.
I have the Daytona Oyster Perpetual.
It is Gold on white face, with the 3 smaller dials for day, date, month
I don't wear it every day, just for special occassions.

Graham

And that has to do with G-Shocks because?

My personal preference is the GW-M5600 (Solar powered and Atomic controlled). Perhaps not as "chunky" as most of the other G-Shocks out there - and there are a LOT of them!

However if you want a no-nonsense daily "beater" - it's hard to beat. Wears just as well to the office as it does in the field. Whatever you choose, I would recommend you get a "Tough Solar" i.e. solar powered and "Multi-band 5/6" i.e. Atomic controlled version. They are well worth the extra £s.

If you can't find a G-Shock that floats your boat, take a look at the Suunto range - though they do not do the Solar power/Atomic combo, they are very rugged, well built and replacing the batteries is designed to be a DIY job! I have a Suunto Observer and the time keeping is almost on par with my M5600 :thumbup:

EDIT: Also to add that the Pro-trek range is very good, though a little more expensive compared to a Solar/Atomic G-Shock. If you think you might use the Altimeter/Barometer/Compass functions - they will be worth looking at. I've had a few Pro-treks and though they wear well despite their larger than average size, I never really used the full functionality, so ended up moving them on. The Suunto Observer has similar functions but it's a more "conventional" size.

Went with the one in the picture.

Not bad but the light doesnt light up the face very well, and the large surface area or the watch and strap is too much in this heat.

Back