Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CB in dash install in an 80?

Richard Jackaman

Anybody got a CB mounted in the dash of an 24V 80 series? Either in the second DIN slot or a smaller unit to replace the ashtray.

Would be interested in any advice/pics of such a setup.

Cheers

I am doing that very job this weekend once I have finished my hub rebuild. I'll take pictures!

Chris

have a din fitted in the double din space above the radio

its a very tight squeeze, and everything is sort of "jammed" in rather than solidly attached- but in a couple of years its never moved, and its always worked very well. you will need an external speaker.

Silly question but do all CBs need an external speaker?

I know you can get ones with front speakers, which are relatively expensive, but what about the rest?

Cheers

Used to have an INTEK one mounted in a DIN slot in the lower DIN slot on my 80 - as said before more jammed in than fixed as the DIN mounting cradle didn't have screws or space to screw into the mounting point on the 80 - a Bit of gaffer tape around the whole shebang worked out fine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just about all CB's have an internal speaker, usually on the top or bottom casing so it will be firing into the behind dash area and might be a bit muffled. I've never favoured that spot for a CB because the ventilation isn't very good but I only know of one heat failure when mounted there, guess it depends how much you talk and how good your SWR is.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I've never favoured that spot for a CB because the ventilation isn't very good but I only know of one heat failure when mounted there, guess it depends how much you talk and how good your SWR is.

Where else do people favour fitting a CB if not in the dash?

On a related note what about antenae location? Thinking of something like a Sirio Hi-Power 4000.

Cheers

Richard Jackaman said:
Where else do people favour fitting a CB if not in the dash?
Now I'll have to admit that's not a problem I've had to solve because my CB is an old Cobra which has nearly all the workings inside the mic with just a small metal box it plugs into that is easily hidden away but they don't make them for the UK any more :cry:

If you do put it in the dash, run a patch lead from the radio antenna jack to some place accessible outside the dash and connect your antenna to that rather than going direct otherwise you'll be stuffed if you want to check the SWR at any point after you've installed it. A patch lead (just in case anyone doesn't already know) is just a short bit of coax with a PL259 on each end. You'll need a back to back female to female connector as well to join the patch lead and antenna lead together.

EDIT: P.S. good choice of antenna IMO

Jon Wildsmith said:
EDIT: P.S. good choice of antenna IMO

I thought I'd read somewhere you were a fan of those :) .

Where would the best place to mount one on an 80 be? Not too keen on mag mounts as they tend to get shifted when offroad so might put it on a gutter mount either on the gutter or somewhere lower on the truck.

Cheers

Maycom with a 50w amp, mounted in dash under the stereo. Perfect fit height wise, never had any problems. Aerial? Err long and thin and on the roof.

Sometimes you can know toooo much :lol:

Chris

Richard Jackaman said:
Where would the best place to mount one on an 80 be? Not too keen on mag mounts as they tend to get shifted when offroad so might put it on a gutter mount either on the gutter or somewhere lower on the truck.
Gutter mount works great for me! A permanent mount on the body or bullbar is probably better but if you don't want permanent, gutter is the way to go.
A cheaper alternative to the Sirio is the Modulator - now that mine's tuned properly I get crystal clear reception (thanks, Crispin) and decent range too.

A gutter mount is a good place for the antenna but is a bit harder to route the cable.

There are some mounts designed to clamp onto the tailgate with a short pig tail of really small coax that will fit through the gap between the tailgate and the body so you can run it all the way down the side of the tailgate go underneath and then bring it inside somewhere.

If you have a front bumper with bar work then the antenna tab on those works quite well and it's easy to get the cable into the cab.

I don't body mount antenna just because plans change and suddenly you realise the antenna mount is in the way or covered over by your new plan :lol:

On my 100 I have a handheld Midland Alan and have wired the antenna to a surface mount socket along with another power point on the side of the console.

Richard Jackaman said:
Anybody got a CB mounted in the dash of an 24V 80 series? Either in the second DIN slot or a smaller unit to replace the ashtray.

Would be interested in any advice/pics of such a setup.

Cheers

As fitted in my truck.

CB006.jpg

CB005.jpg

Back