Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

center diff lock switch

tonyoakey

hi guys, i have a 1993 80, an English one with the 3 diffs and was wondering about getting a center diff lock switch as mine doesn't have one, i just saw one for sale on ebay, does anyone know if its possible to fit one to an 80 that didn't originally have one, also what would the benefits be?
any advice would be great,
Cheers.

Yes its possible and I would highly recommend it. It lets you lock the centre diff when in high (useful in the snow and dune bashing) and gives you the ability to use the low box without the centre diff lock (useful when towing or on very steep hills). If you have a manual its really easy, find the place in the wiring loon behind the dash to fit it and disconnect the low range engagement sensor from the TC. If you have an auto it gets a little more complicated than that as shift patterns change in low range. Google 7 pin mod for more info.

Yes, there's lots written about fitting them on here - and also about the benefits ;)
In a nutshell, the wiring is in the dash, simply remove one of the blank switch cover and plug in. The CDL switch allows you to lock the CD in high range or if you unplug one of the sensors on the box, you have manual control of locking/unlocking the CD in high and low.

Cheers,

There will be a plug connector on the loom behind the dash which the switch will just plug into. The benefits are that you then have full manual control of the centre diff which means you can lock the diff in high range and, if you unplug a connector on the transfer box, you can use low range with either an unlocked or locked diff instead of the default behaviour of the diff locking automatically when low range is selected.

We are a bit keen to answer this one :lol:

:shock: Look in to my eyes, not around the eyes, into the eyes "you will forget the pin 7 mod, it's not for you, it's for Americans who don't know any better. Just pull a plug on the T case"

1, 2, 3 and you're back in the room. :D

So that's fit the switch and pull a plug on the T case then.

another volunteer from the audience please. This time we are going to rebuild a front axle .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

BTW you may have to furtle around a bit to find the plug in the dash, but it IS there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Unplugging the connector on the T case actually make a difference to the shift pattern of the auto box in low. If you don't do this, the vehicle when in low will lurch horriblly with the most stupid gear changes possible. Like it does now. It also brings other benefits as Towpack says, but most importantly it give proper low range change intervals.

Chris

Don't listen to me about he 7 pin mod, all I know is I don't need to worry about it as I have a manual :whistle:

What pin 7 mod? :whistle:

Chris

That's great, thank you all for the info, I got the one that was on eBay so when it arrives I'll get the dash out and find the connector!
Thanks again!
Tony

Back