Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Central Locking Fob

MOZ

Country Flag
wales
Hi Guys - I have read that many articles on programming a Fob, I've become confused, so perhaps one of you guys can let me have the correct procedure.
I have just purchased a new Central Locking Fob from Toyota (part number 08191-00880) It has two buttons - open/shut with a red LED light.

This is for my 1999 3Ltr. Colorado.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Its in the owners manual press both buttons simultaneously for 2 seconds to synch

If it's a new fob then that won't work. Syncing is only where the current fob has fallen out with the ECU. You need to actually establish a connection first. Think about it. If you wanted to steal a Colorado, all you'd need would be any old fob, press and hold both buttons and you'd be in!

Unless Toyota progammed it for you, you need to go through the re programming procedure.

Hi Chris - Which or What is the correct procedure?

That did cross my mind Chris when both my fobs died and i sent them off to some bloke in Liverpool to be fixed IIRC synch would not work when they were returned until i opened the truck using the key in the good old fashioned way and turned the ignition on . I could be wrong but it still baffles me how the guy fixed my fobs without so much as asking what vehicle they were for ?

Shayne I think that the programme code is retained in those fobs even without the battery in there. So if he used the same innards then it will have synced OK.

MOZ, I'm not the best person to take you through that. It will be on here somewhere but I haven't had a 90 series for a long time. I did synch my new fob once on a SWB 97 model and it involved finding the ECU, pushing in a button with a pen till a light came on and then holding down one of the buttons on the fob. There are all sorts of myths on this including burying a black cat at midnight on consecrated ground etc etc but at some point you have to make the path clear between the control unit and the fob so that they can bond. Opening and closing the sunroof under a full moon just isn't going to work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Guys - Just to bring you up to date on this Key Fob issue.

I purchased a new Central Locking Key Fob from a Toyota Main Dealer, then tried to 'make' it work from all the information obtained from various sources, it did not work, hence the post, finally spoke with Toyota Main Dealer and I took the LC & key fob to them, 15 minutes all done and working after having the key fob talk to the ECU and they only charged me £15 + VAT. Job Done.

Now that is a bargain. But how much was the fob. They're a tenner on ebay. I hope you watched what they did.

Hi Guys - Just to bring you up to date on this Key Fob issue.

I purchased a new Central Locking Key Fob from a Toyota Main Dealer, then tried to 'make' it work from all the information obtained from various sources, it did not work, hence the post, finally spoke with Toyota Main Dealer and I took the LC & key fob to them, 15 minutes all done and working after having the key fob talk to the ECU and they only charged me £15 + VAT. Job Done.

Good work. What Toyota dealer was it? It's always worth praising them when they do a good job - as seemingly it is quite rare!

I had to buy the keyfob from Toyota (£60) because wherever I tried to purchase one from ebay or on line, no one could confirm that it would be work on my LC, so I decided to go with my local Toyota Dealer - Premier Toyota, Llandudno Junction, North Wales.

Back