Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chain or belt?

Fett

Forgive my ignorance, I am new here :oops:

would a 1997 4.5 petrol 80 series have a chain or a belt cam?

I thought it was belt but the guy selling it is saying chain.

do the chaines ever need attention? are they duplex?

Many thanks

thanks, thats good news.

duplex is like a double row of them joined together :)

ah I see , how reliable is it any ideas?

I read up on ih8mud but they were talking about 60 series i think or some other seires, they were yanks anyway and this guy had a chain break on him :doh:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The petrol 80's like to blow a headgasket as far as the yanks are concerned.
Nothing major though, just the headgasket that separates and pressure gets into the cooling system.
When you detect hoses starting to sweat coolant and becoming pressurised, than probably headgasket.
Simply order the parts and a days work and your off again.
Most petrol 80s that are daily driver short range commuters tend to suffer.

Other than that it's a cruiser, so well built to say the least.

uh oh , mine may do that as it will get some use that way- still rather that then beb's :p

how often are we talking here, more than a rover v8?

The head gasket problem seems to be down to a fault with the original gasket. Some say it's down to Toyota changing from asbestos gaskets to other materials in the early 90's for obvious reasons.

The HG always seem to go in the same area, around cylinder no. 6 between the cylinder and water jet.

The updated Toyota HG has overcome this problem. So if your HG goes it's a matter of changing it to a new style one from Toyota and then pretty much forgetting about it. It's not an ongoing issue.

I wouldn't let the HG issue be a reason to put you off of the petrol model.

Not sure when they changed the design bit don't think it was until the early 2000's. Remember this isn't a particularly big issue and by no means common. It has happened to some but not to most.

Most important check to do you when you get an 80 is check the cooling system. Make sure that is working fine and you should be good for many miles. One thing to check when you do buy is if the fan clutch has been Changed to the newer one. Black one is old, blue one is new. I had overheating issues with mine on warm days when hoofing it up a hill or long climbs while laning in low range. As soon as I changed the fan clutch it sorted the problem.

ahh thats great info! blue fan clutch then!

how much are the fan clutches if it needs one?

Fett said:
duplex is like a double row of them joined together :)

Duplex is the material, it's a stainless steel alloy, we use it a lot to fabricate gas flowlines offshore, it's strong & has good corrosion & erosion properties.

You're probably getting mixed up with the old rover V8 setup, the timing chains stretch on those, & a good fix/upgrade was to fit a duplex chain (usually made by Cloyes)

you both right and wrong :p

I was thinking of my bmw v8 which has "duplex double row timing chain" I always thought duplex refferd to the double row.

I guess from what you say its made from duplex and has a double row. thats one hell of an engine,love it not much good off road though :D

rover v8's sadly have the internal spares made from indian knives and forks nowadays, the parts quality is really crappy- bit like that panorma on medical instruments :doh:

Can't remember how much tbh. Wasn't too bad though.

You should check out www.toyodiy.com. You can search for part no's and guide prices( in euros). if you are IT adept enough and access it through a german server it will apparently even give you parts diagrams...

Regarding the service manuals it's best to download the factory service manual. There is a link to it on here somewhere. If you struggle pm me and I can send you a few links to download it.

These things like HG and BEB shouldn't put you off at all.

They aren't regular maintenance to say the least.
And the repairs are easy without any time consuming remanufacturing.
Just be aware that the problem may occur and use some proactive maintenance.

fair enough, I would like to start with one with either beb or h/g done, and most of all with some dry swivels and good c/vs :p

I need an ethusiasts car after they move on to a 100 or soemthing

Tbh I think you'll struggle to find one with the HG done.

Also if you go for an enthusiasts car be prepared to pay more...

You keep making reference to wet seals on the swivels, I'm pretty sure the swivels are suppose to be a little wet with slight smear of grease on them...

My advice is to buy a soccer moms car. Or non enthusiast who hasn't abused it.

Back