Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changing seals etc on all brake callipers

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I've ordered a seal kit from front and rear callipers on my 120. Is there something I should know about before I start? Don't want to sit at the end of it with a problem and ya'll say "Well, you shoulda done...."

I intend taking the callipers off and working indoors with them, one at a time. Pinch the brake line with G-clamp?

Don't pinch the line wih a g clamp as it could damage it, if it is a banjo end you can block it with nuts and bolts or buy some pipe clamps.Cheap in halfrauds. You can improvise with long nose vise grips with a socket over the ends.
If the calipers are in quite good condition its not too hard to rebuild them in place. Just use the grease that came with the seals or the proper grease, don't be tempted to stray with the copper slip. work of the devil that stuff.

EDIT: Its also worth getting hold of some decent wire brushes including some thinner bodied ones to get in where the pads will sit.

I picked up some of the "propper" grease/oil for the brakes from a local supplier for 60p for 25ml. When I checked the price on-line they were £5.... result. You are welcome to have the two tubes I bought as I did not need them in the end :roll:

Couple of cans of the spray brake cleaner. Gets rid of the crap, smells lemony and dries quickly. Get the cals nice and clean, work as clean as you can and don't twist the pistons out of the pots. The seal kinda crinkles up and stop the piston from turning. Blow them out with compressed air, OR pump them out whist still on the vehicle to the point that they will wiggle out by hand when on the bench. Brute force is, for once, the wrong approach. Brains over brawn.

Paul is right. Copper slip is the juice from the devil's sludge valve!

Chris

thanks fellas. I'll go find me a pair of those pipe clamps (or some sockets and my vice-grips).

Tony, I have a pot of the stuff on its way for £7 IIRC. I think my great grand children will be dead before it is used up. :lol:

If they're the same as I order off Ian Rubie, there's enough red grease supplied with the kit ! attaching the boots back on is a bit fiddly if they're the same as the 90s !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back