Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

cheap veg oil

BIG clean GREEN

Garage
I know it's not a technical topic but far too good to miss !!!

For those of you running on Veg oil, Tesco's are doing a buy one get one free on the 3Ltr veg oil, it's for one week only starting at midnight Tuesday 11th may, will work out at 41.5p a Ltr,

FILL YOUR BOOTS

Nick.

BIG clean GREEN said:
I know it's not a technical topic but far too good to miss !!! For those of you running on Veg oil, Tesco's are doing a buy one get one free on the 3Ltr veg oil, it's for one week only starting at midnight Tuesday 11th may, will work out at 41.5p a Ltr,
FILL YOUR BOOTS
Nick.
I'll be there, but I think I'll put it in my tank :lol: :lol:
Chas

What mixture (Veggie:fossil) will you run this in your LCs? Will you simply add the veg oil as is or some kind of additive?

Wondering whether I might try running a few litres - filled up yesterday and a bill north of £100 was a little :o
I'm aware that it might loosen up the gunge in my fuel system but otherwise there don't seem to be too many warnings... Don't want to mess anything up :!:

Andrew Prince said:
What mixture (Veggie:fossil) will you run this in your LCs? Will you simply add the veg oil as is or some kind of additive?
Wondering whether I might try running a few litres - filled up yesterday and a bill north of £100 was a little :o
I'm aware that it might loosen up the gunge in my fuel system but otherwise there don't seem to be too many warnings... Don't want to mess anything up :!:
I've been using 12ltrs of SVO with every tankful with no problems so far, and after reading a post on a Freelander site :oops: I've just also started to put in .5 litres of two stroke oil, they say it helps with emissions, I figured if it was meant to be burnt it can't do any harm, and as the link claimed it does seem to make the engine less noisy :cool:
Chas

I've been adding 18Ltr per fill (i.e once it's near empty) so somewhere in the region of 30% per tank, smells great now !!!
I've been told so long as theres enough diesel in the system to lube the pump etc. should be ok, the other site has quite a detailed topic in this subject !

Nick.

Unless you are going to use quite a bit, there is little financial gain in this. Adding one or two litres is pointless. But at 42p per lit, it's worth stockpiling some! On a trip where you plan to burn a good bit in a short time, like a day on the Plain or out laning you can save a considerable amount of beer money. Just on one tank full mixed 50/50 you'd save nearly £40. If you are going to blast down to Strata for example it's worth it. But if you only fill up once a month to go to the shops it's not worth the hassle of pouring it in. As to being compatible, well there are pages and pages of discussion both for and against. Now and then, it's not going to harm anything in my view. I mixed a bottle 50 50 and left it in the fridge for a week. Never separated, didn't wax up, looked just like diesel.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree with all your points, Chris, hence I've never bothered with veg - fill up once a month on average (that because the 80 is so economical :cool: )
At a 3rd of the price of derv, this oil looks worth considering. Thinking of buying a bunch (don't know how much Tesco let's you buy in one go?) and then just adding 10l every so often. As Tesco have taught us, every little helps :geek:
I'll also stick in some 2stroke, I like the idea of running some extra lube through the pump & injectors every so often.

Anyone have any ideas on where I can get a decent amount of 2 stroke at a reasonable price? Happy to buy 5-25l - most of the stuff seems to come in 500ml or 1l bottles and goes for a silly price. :roll:

Try Machine Mart. That's where I get it for my chainsaw.

C

BIG clean GREEN said:
I know it's not a technical topic but far too good to miss !!!

For those of you running on Veg oil, Tesco's are doing a buy one get one free on the 3Ltr veg oil, it's for one week only starting at midnight Tuesday 11th may, will work out at 41.5p a Ltr,

FILL YOUR BOOTS

Nick.

Thats a very good price i've been runing my LC on 50/50 for the last 40000 miles with no problems

Andrew Prince said:
Anyone have any ideas on where I can get a decent amount of 2 stroke at a reasonable price? Happy to buy 5-25l - most of the stuff seems to come in 500ml or 1l bottles and goes for a silly price. :roll:
Machine two stroke oil is £4.69/ltr. Do a trawl on eBay for two stroke oil, I bought 5ltrs for £18.86 inc P&P (£3.77/ltr), but that seller has increased the price for 5ltrs from £10.86 to £19.86 :shock: so I don't think I'll buy more from him, but there may be cheaper.
Chas

Tesco no longer have a bulk buy policy, however the Duty Manager may refuse you if you're completely emptying the fixtures, this is because they have to try and please everyone with good availability, best bet is to get to the store earlyish whilst they still have stock in the warehouses !

Nick
(Tesco Duty Manager)

Personally I would say that the fixture in my store holds about 50x3ltr veg and 50x3ltr sunflower so around half that amount, however if you take what you can get away with and then when it's in your car, go back and speak to the duty manager and ask him/her if you can put an order in for the following day, I'm sure they'll oblidge as "every penny helps"

You may not even get challenged it's kind of classed as a "when it's gone it's gone"

Nick.

That's even cheaper than the 58p I pay for a litre of LPG :mrgreen:

Don't know if you can still pre-order stuff at Tesco. When I first started using veg in my LJ70 it was 53ppl in 1ltr bottles. Phoned up tesco and ordered 120L to be collected next day and when I arrived it was all waiting packed onto a trolley for me.

Been running veg at about 90% in the LJ70 for the past 3 years. Works fine until it gets below freezing :) .

Cheers

My Boss has spit his dummy out at me today because I wanted to BBUULLKK buy and fill my garage, but he's now put a limit on how many can be sold per purchase per day to one case of 6, however that means you can buy one case of 6 veg oil and one case of 6 sunflower oil because they're a different product, that would cost £15.42 for 36Ltr if my maths are correct.

Nick.

If you're near an extra store they should have a decent supply to last a while, other than the likes of us, why else would you want to buy in bulk :?

Nick.

So has anyone bought cheap veg oil in those 25L drums that the chippie shops etc use? Must be cheaper to gut it in bulk? I've done a bit of googling but not found any prices....

Back