Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clive's HZJ80

Veg oil?

Probably doesn’t feature on the paperwork.

Problem ATM, they don’t recognise emissions other than a Euro rating, so even if you reduce emissions by using different fuels and add-on devices, I’ll still be Euro 1 on the books, as it were...

What irritates me is that there’s no concern about the environment, it’s all to do with scrapping older cars to promote new car sales, done under the guise of ecology, because the EU will support such an approach.

There’s a huge black-market trade of 6-8 year old cars bought cheap in Germany/France and imported here, and it’s killing the new car sales...

Last edited:
OK guys, over the last 6 months, my 80 has developed clunks.

Not major, but relentless, and I can’t find the current fault. Before anyone starts, let me go through the process of elimination that stared with the first sound of it.

I wasn’t sure whether it was front or back, or maybe middle, so I started at the back.

First, all prop UJs checked and re-greased, all good (3 have been changed in the the last 12 months, the fourth about 2 years ago).

The prop sliders have been cleaned and greased, no excess play in them and certainly not over greased.

Rear axle mounts. Top arm bushings had excessive play, so they were changed. Lower arms had new bushings last year.

After changing, the clunks changed, or rather diminished. I suspect there was more than one going on, so maybe I cured one of them, but not all.

Rear swaybar bushes and ball joints (chassis mounts). Bushes good, and ball joints replaced (one had a fair bit of play in it). Slight change in the clunks, so I think that was contributing. Some progress, anyway.

OK, middle.

Gearbox mount, only 2 years old, cost an arm, leg and kidney, still intact and dry. All good.

Front.

All 6 axle mount bushes changed recently when I replaced the caster correction drop boxes, for correction plates. All good.

Front sway bar bushes. The rubber bushes mounting to the axle were shot, so they were replaced. Checked the ball joint mounts to the chassis and they were kinda ok, but some play, so they were replaced.

Clunks changed again, quite noticeably this time, for the better, but still there, or the ones that are left are.

I’ve checked all the springs, none are broken and there’s nothing to suggest any problems with their mountings, perches OK, no rust even, and the axle ends are secure and seated properly.

I’ve checked the steering arms to hub mounts (the infamous 4 studs) and they’re secure.

I’ve checked the steering box mounts, they’re tight and no more cracks in the chassis...

I’ve checked all 4 steering ball joints.

The steering damper has been renewed recently, it was leaking.

Now, because the clunks have been narrowed down a lot from when they started, it comes when doing any or all of the following:

Hardish braking;
Steering, but only sometimes, not always;
Gently climbing a kerb, for example. It’s odd, if the kerb is under the left wheel, then it clunks for certain. Under the right wheel, then sometimes.

It doesn’t clunk when driving normally, highway, or off-road, suspension undulations, don’t trigger it, only any or all of the above.

It now sounds (to me) as though the clunk is from the left side knuckle.

My thoughts... maybe it’s a top or bottom or both swivel bearing. Hard to test these I know because they’re concealed, but I can’t imagine it could be anything else.

Those bearings are loaded on braking, and loaded on steering. They would also be stressed when slowly mounting a kerb.

Has anyone had these bearings fail and could they share the symptoms please?

Otherwise, does anyone have any other ideas?

Im tired of scratching my head, and I don’t want to rebuild the knuckles if there’s nothing wrong with them.

Thats quite a list there Clive ....I know how you must feel having gone through these elimination processes too and so I know it's frustrating taking long to get to the bottom of things.

Noises are always hard to diagnose. How loud is the noise clunk Clive. Have you changed the Flange in the front axle outer shaft?

I had an issue some years ago and changed these as there were play in there and suffered a clung sound with the symptoms like you.

Clive can you get someone else to drive the truck onto the left hand kerb and replicate the noise whilst you listen underneath ideally with a stethoscope...

Thats quite a list there Clive ....I know how you must feel having gone through these elimination processes too and so I know it's frustrating taking long to get to the bottom of things.

Noises are always hard to diagnose. How loud is the noise clunk Clive. Have you changed the Flange in the front axle outer shaft?

I had an issue some years ago and changed these as there were play in there and suffered a clung sound with the symptoms like you.

Cheers Dervis. I’ve had a new one fitted as a legacy of a direct hit on the left wheel, many moons ago, which bent the axle case (unknown to me) and after driving it for ages with one wheel out of alignment, I finally convinced myself it was the axle casing out of true and changed it.

All the internals are from my truck, just the casing was changed.

I’ve checked all the flanges are tight, and the splines are good, the guys ched them when they fitted new CVs, about 18 months ago.

Anyway, those would likely only cause a clunk in acceleration, or under engine braking (drive related) and that’s not when the clung appears.

Oh, and I’ve checked the caliper mounts too for tightness, as it happens on hardish braking, but not feathering.

Pretty sure it’s not the drive flanges, but thanks for the effort.

It seems like you did all bushes except the panhard bushes. How are these?
When you did the bushes, how did the bolts look? Sometimes they also wear inside the bushes.
Are the shock bushes okay, or maybe loose?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I expect you’ve either emptied the car or stuffed bubble wrap in to chock anything that can move about?

It seems like you did all bushes except the panhard bushes. How are these?
When you did the bushes, how did the bolts look? Sometimes they also wear inside the bushes.
Are the shock bushes okay, or maybe loose?

Hi Niel, the front panhard is a new adjustable unit, and when fitted, had new OEM bushes. The rear is standard and the bushings look OK, but it’s worth a check, thanks.

All of the bush bolts were in surprisingly good shape, no rusting to the centre sleeve, in fact no rust at all to speak of. I also checked the chassis mount faces in case they had worn at some stage, but they looked good.

Thanks for posting :thumbup:

I expect you’ve either emptied the car or stuffed bubble wrap in to chock anything that can move about?

TBH, I can’t say I have Rich...

The clunk is so obviously t chassis level or below, or at least I think so. I’m well aware that noises migrate all over the shop, so many I should empty the truck...

My next move is to remove the shock absorbers and see if that changes anything. They’ve been on the truck for 12 years so there’s a chance that one or more of them may be the cause. I can do them one-by-one with a try out in between each...

Cheers :thumbup:

Remove the shock absorbers… :scared-eek::happy-bouncyyellow:

Is this really a good idea, or did you not mean you would drive about without them/one?

Remove the shock absorbers… :scared-eek::happy-bouncyyellow:

Is this really a good idea, or did you not mean you would drive about without them/one?

It would only be a trundle around the “block” up the track by the house Rich.

I’ll do a circuit before I start to see if I can find the places that induce the clunk, then do the circuit again with one shock removed to see if there’s a difference.

If I do them in rotation, I’m sure we’ll come to no harm. :thumbup:

Clive can you get someone else to drive the truck onto the left hand kerb and replicate the noise whilst you listen underneath ideally with a stethoscope...

Good call Richard, It’s really what I need to do. The type of sound suggests that there’s not much movement causing it, if that makes any sense.

I think a look and feel at the same time might just nail it.

If I go quiet on this forum for a while it probably means I’ve been run over... :lol:

Busy day on the 12 April 2019, service on the truck, the usual engine oil, air, fuel and oil filters, and this time plus transmission oils, g/box, t/box and both diffs at 420k km.

Also, a bit of nostalgia.... a milestone in history ... traded my UK drivers’ license in for a Romanian one.

It’s said that although after Brexit folks will still be able to drive here on a UK license, technically, the law (here) says after being here for 90 days straight, I should have swapped my license for a Romanian one.

I’m only 18 years late, but the catch is that after Brexit, if they enforce the “90 day rule” they won’t do a straight swap, I’d have to take a driving test here to get a local license :shock:

My mastery of the Romanian language is pathetic, so little chance of getting close on the written test, so I bit the bullet and and applied for a swap. It’s been 48 years since I took a test, so I’m not going to put myself through that if I can avoid it.

If you come to the UK in the 80 with your RO plates and your RO licence... if ya get pulled by the Cops you can just Shrug and shake your head and look slightly guilty but with a confused expression.. And you'l be waved on your way kind Sir..:lol:............ Yes i wonder how many of us would fair up if we had to take the Test again... Careful Clive they will be 'havin' your Passport next..

If you come to the UK in the 80 with your RO plates and your RO licence... if ya get pulled by the Cops you can just Shrug and shake your head and look slightly guilty but with a confused expression.. And you'l be waved on your way kind Sir..:lol:............ Yes i wonder how many of us would fair up if we had to take the Test again... Careful Clive they will be 'havin' your Passport next..

Recon that’s a dead cert when Brexit (eventually) happens, mine’s got “European Union” across the top, so it will have to go...

BTW, I liked this mini BBQ in the ITP station that someone’s lovingly fabled up, it’s cute...

1005B440-A466-4C6C-A7A2-D88383ECADEE.jpeg
784A7177-AAD8-49B9-9643-03350F8BABD9.jpeg

Last year I was treated to grilled chicken and mici cooked on this, washed down with some home-made red wine... yummy :lol:

Well Done mate, All that love and attention you keep throwing at it, And money no doubt!

TBH Higgy, yours has had more love and attention in the last 12 months than mine has ever had :lol:

But I do try to keep it mechanically sound. Yes, it’s all 24 years old and 430k kms behind it so far, but it drives well and I’m about to give it a bit of a refresher in the body-shop as soon as I can get some arrangements in place.

Gotta love these ‘Cruisers though, not really sure what it is about them, but they sure get into your blood, somehow... :think:

Back