Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch Problems !!

James Lampard

Hi - I have been on here before with this,but it has got worse !!!!
just to recap- I purchased a 2001 95 d4d with 85k on the clock from a Mitsubishi main dealer - the clutch was slipping and as part of the deal they fitted a 3 piece clutch Luk I believe as well as a new flywheel - as they had it apart I paid extra to have a new main oil seal fitted - imagining at least another 85 k out of it !!
In less than 500 miles there was a squeak from the thrust bearing unless the pedal was depressed (even a small amount of pressure was enough to stop it)
They agreed to repair it and I drove it 130 miles back to have it done - I arranged that whilst it was apart I would pay for the part to have a genuine clutch fitted which they agreed to
However the managed to stop the squeak by adjusting something !!!
This didn't even last until I got home !
To be fair to them they offered to send someone down to get it but I told them I was happy to wait until I was up that way to save them the expense
Now it has started slipping and it has covered less than 4000 miles 4 months
The garage now are suggesting it could be down to riding the clutch !! Which is rediculous my Audi has done 180k+ and still on the same clutch
They will check it out and send it back to the manufacturer who will be able to tell if I have been riding the clutch ! And it will be my responsibility if that is their analysis - I obviously have not ridden the clutch but fear that the garage don't want to pay for it nor will the manufacturer and as it has started slipping it could be my word against theirs
Any idea what the actual cause of the problem could be ?

And any ideas on how I should deal with the situation would also be handy !!!!!

Thanks in advance !!
Cheers Jim

I would want them to fit a complete new clutch and thrust release bearing, they might have on the cheap just inspected the pressure plate of the clutch and replaced the friction plate for instance....or someone has done a poor job on installation and contaminated the flywheel or friction plate with a greasy finger print!. There is no adjustment on the clutch, just the pedal.

edit - The squeak might have been from a black plastic bush behind the clutch pedal, was it a squeak or was it the typical clutch release bearing sound of whirring?

Last edited:
It was a chirping noise which disappeared completely with a slight press of the pedal !
They adjusted something - at first they tried backing off the slave but that was not possible so they adjusted the pedal which stopped it for about 100 miles !!!
Being hydraulic I guess it readjusted itself

Back