Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Codsy

uploadfromtaptalk1457273782348.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Been doing a little detailing this morning polished head with dremill looks great

Guys, you seem to be t be ones with loads of knowledge, going back to the ign fuse blowing, I washed the truck yesterday and had the hose on the sliding rear Windows nearside water was dripping into the panel where the Jack lives are those windows totally reliant the seals or is there a drain hole somewhere in the bottom grove ?

The sliding Windows are based on an ally frame covered by a punched rubber that has drains built in. The ally also has tape flaps on the drains cut into it. The ally unfortunately corrodes and swells showing as bumps on the rubbers. The whole unit comes out as one by folding back the inner of the rubber, I use a paint scraper softened by wrapping the end in gaffer tape and assisting with some pieces of plastic but there are proper tools like plastic tyre levers that can be used.

Once the unit is out, the centre bar can be unscrewed allowing the glass to be removed, then the rubber can be carefully removed from the ally frame. Pop it in the bath with a good covering of liquid soap or washing up liquid and go over it with a nail brush or tooth brush. IT WILL BE BLACK and blacken the bath and anything it touches. But it is cleanable so do it when the Mrs is out. [emoji4]

Check the ally frame and carefully remove corrosion. If it's too bad, the ally frame may be available, the rubbers are.

Once clean and you're happy with it, reassemble in the reverse order and pop a piece of cord into the groove in the rubber that meets with the vehicle body. Slide the bottom corners in and go inside to pull the cord so it pulls the rubber around the body aperture. An assistant GENTLY pushing on the window unit from outside is both useful and advisable. Once the rubber is fully round the aperture and the cord is finished with, give the rubber a thump with the heal of your hand around the top edge and sides to fully seat it.

All should now be well. While the window unit is out, you can treat any rust patches that have appeared under it.

Last edited:
How flippin long did that take with a dremel? !

I had a go at polishing my valve cover the last time I had it off but soon got fed up and sprayed it with silver wheel paint. Looks good too. I hope the OP has lacquered the polished cover as it won't stay like that for long in the damp, salty winter air!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought 50 wire brushes and 50 Celts off eBay, a couple of tubes of autosol paste and spent a day under the bonnet, it's like a mirror now, everything that can be polished is now getting the same treatment

That should have said felts

Under the long horizontal plastic trim beneath the window there are four snap pins holding it down. These pass through holes in the body. There are little foam gaskets but these perish. I pulled my trim off and used silicone sealer instead of the gaskets.

Many thanks how big a job is this to do

Towpack love that post polishing my valve cover last time I had it off

Good God I priced everything up except glass for both rear sliding windows from Toyota over 800 quid I think a scrap yard visit is on the cards

Good God I priced everything up except glass for both rear sliding windows from Toyota over 800 quid I think a scrap yard visit is on the cards. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Karl Webster may be able to help out or try those members on the receiving end of the gullwings thread. In theory there should be some serviceable sliding window sets on the loose...

Karl Webster may be able to help out or try those members on the receiving end of the gullwings thread. In theory there should be some serviceable sliding window sets on the loose...

Or Sir might like a nice shiny pair of Gullwing doors instead…perhaps?

Back