Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cold start - Fast Idle

Typically, mine didn't do it this morning! I didn't record the next test, but not sure my power heater is working, it doesn't raise the rpm like my Hilux used to.

Last edited:
I didn’t notice but I think it does it always. Even my accord does this, but accord stays at high rpm for bit more time before dropping.
isn’t it normal for cars to do this?

Brett,
We can’t upload videos directly here so I upload em to YouTube n paste link here

Oh ok saw Brett video. Should the car always start n idle at 6-700 rpm without going up n settling down like my car did?

Well I can only speak from my experience, the other morning was the first time mine has gone up to 1000rpm. Since I've owned it, it has always started at 600rpm. The only difference that morning was lower air temperature, but not what you would call properly cold

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What does the manual say? I would bet money on it that this is a auto warmup feature, just a newer version that the button we have on the 120's

Last edited:
Was googling this, cars do that a little bit to get engine to preset condition when started after long time or cold. it’s was it’s first few seconds so think it’s not too concerning behaviour.
Since I got the car I changed diff n transfer oils, automatic fluid n filter changed. AHC fluid changed as well.
next in line are coolant, break fluid, power steering fluid to replace. Grease all points. Then car ll be at baseline.

I don't think its a fault, or anything to worry about

Reactions: Raj
Mine did it again this morning, air temperature 10 degrees Celsius, revved up to 1000rpm, back down to 600rpm when the engine had warmed, approx 5 minutes of driving. I tried shutting off and restarting while still cold, and revs rise up again. It definitely looks like purposeful behaviour.

My car revs to about 2500 rpm when it's really cold and runs mega late timing and valve overlap which makes it loud and throaty (sounds pretty cool, but essentially dumps fuel into the tailpipe). 1000 rpm is nothing. ;)

My car revs to about 2500 rpm when it's really cold and runs mega late timing and valve overlap which makes it loud and throaty (sounds pretty cool, but essentially dumps fuel into the tailpipe). 1000 rpm is nothing. ;)
And that's a 200 series?

What does the manual say? I would bet money on it that this is a auto warmup feature, just a newer version that the button we have on the 120's
Been through the manual, can't find anything about cold starting.

Hi, just to close the loop on this, now I've owned the car longer, and being in winter, I actually think it's to do with the smart alternator. What I have found, even if the temperature is below 10 degrees Celsius, if the interior heater is set to off, the revs on starting are normal, circa 600rpm. Switch the heater fan on and the revs raise to 1000 rpm until the engine is warm then automatically drop back to 600 rpm.

If on top of the above you also engage the viscous heater, it will raise the revs to 1200 rpm, again until the engine is warm then automatically drop back to 600 rpm. If you switch the heater fan off at any point before the engine is up to temp, the revs drop back to 600 rpm. The viscous heater doesn't have any effect unless the heater fan is running.

Reactions: Raj
Back