Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

colour codes

frank rabbets

Guru
Can anyone shed any light on this situation? My 80 is dark metallic green [in layman's terms]. The colour code on the chassis plate is 6M1 and if you go to a paint shop for repair their are several options of this range and they choose the closest by eye from their samples. The trouble is all their samples are much lighter in colour than what is on the car. They have painted it with the darkest but it looks terrible. Could it be that the car is painted from new in the "wrong" colour? Anyone had similar problems?

Frank

Hi Frank,

Mines 6MI & it's Dark Emerald Pearl, but there are variants, sounds like a better paint shop is required,

I agree with Joinerman. My hilux is painted in a similar colour. The samples help by the body shop were all different. I ended up going to my local bodyshop trade supplier and got them to scan my fuel flap and I got an exact match :thumbup:

Any good quality bodyshop can match in this way too.

On the 120 series, 2005 year, the dark green used is "Ashdown Metalic Green"

G.

The body shop is Rolls Royce, Porsche, Bentley and Audi/VW approved. I don't know if they have a scanner. Does the scanner tell the paint mixing computer exactly what to mix or does it just give them a number which relates to an existing colour?

Frank

Hi

Thanks for tip on the scanner. I've just rung them and they have a scanner. I spoke to the boss who said the scanner was not reliable with pearl/mica metallics!! Anyway they are rectifying. They have already painted the fuel cap!!

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good luck with getting a satisfactory finish. Sounds like they know what they are doing.

I once went to a bodyshop in Aberdeen with the wifes Skoda Superb after she took the front bumper off it (commissioned by our insurance company). When we went to collect the car it was painted 5 different shades of the same colour :evil: The chap at the bodyshop tried to tell me it was because the light was hitting it at different angles and causing that effect. He soon changed his tune when i told him I used to be a quality controller at a bodyshop. :roll:

After 2 more attempts with the muppets we got it repainted at a bodyshop of our choice and they got it done first time.

timtim said:
If it's 80 series, then it is Goodwood Green. :thumbup:

Correct, mine's Goodwood Green 6M1 as well.

I had a new tailgate painted & they had a load of options under 6M1, they did a really good job though, I can't spot any difference.

I know, what i'm saying is if you buy a litre of code 6MI from Vision ( maker ) & the same from Deltron they will call it a different name, exactly the same mix though.

My green has been called Dark Mica Green and Deed Emerald Green and something else which I can't remember [wasn't rubbish].

Frank

Right, had a look in the PPG car colour traders bible at work today, in the Toyota section 6MI IS Dark Emerald Green Pearl, there is NO other green listed under 6MI, as for the scanners some company's use they choose the closest colour on there database which can quite easily be from say a Skoda for example & called Goodwood Green, this is just an examle,
Other things to factor in are when the paint is mixed tinters are used & tolerences that are allowed are + or - 10%, so if say there was five tinters to mix one colour & they were all at their + & - tollerences then the paint although still to spec can be the wrong colour, another factor is mixing to much thinners in the mix before it goes in the gun for spraying.
Also Frank was your Lc panels painted edge to edge ?, when painting you should always blend in to the panels either side of the repair then any minor colour discrepancies will not show & varients are not needed.
One other thing is some laquers can give the look of a wrong colour.

Yes panels were painted edge to edge on my instruction. I'm glad they didn't blend as my lc would have gone from light green one end to dark green on the door. I have painted several Astons and Ferraris in the 80's and I am fussy but the shop says they will sort it. They do Rolls etc so should know what to do if they get somewher near the right colour they can then blend.
My lc looks almost black in some lights and I had thought about lacquer. The newly painted panel looks milky as well as being too light.
I used to paint cars made in the early 60's. I think aston only had 6 colour options!

Frank

Well I picked up the 80 late last night and the rear quarter is an exact match without blending. They tried several test chips out of various books but had to adjust by eye for perfection. I now have my own chip sample about the size of a large playing card with my own personal code written on the back. And they said I was being fussy ?!

Frank

Looks very very nice Frank, like a brand new one :thumbup:

Back