Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Container returning from SA

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Guys,

I may have a container returning from ZA in July. I am unsure if it will be a 20' or a 40' container. There is a slim possibility of there being some space in the container if anyone is looking to bring anything over to the UK. (you will be responsible for duties and taxes) .

Post a reply if you are interested and I will confirm a little nearer the time.

Are you brining your cruiser back then? end of the fantastic trip reports? I hope not.
stu

I have little choice.... Been waiting for a decision from SARS and ITAC and they gave me their decision yesterday. They are adamant that if the vehicle remains in ZA post June they will crush it.

Even if I agree to pay full duty and import tax

I can't import it
I can't sell it
I can't register it

I MUST remove the vehicle from SACU (Southern African Customs Union) countries by June end. When I do so, I am forbidden to return to any SACU country.
I am not really ready to drive it back to the UK so, I am left with very little choice.

Now here is the absurdity. If I return to UK (or any British dependent teritory) I can then get a fresh Carnet and start all over again and be allowed back to SACU countries.

Very very frustrating indeed!

Ooh interesting and unfortunate at the same time.

Do you have space for a RTT?

It sounds stupid but i can get on e in the uk for silly money and use it for the next 9 months and then return to SA with it or you could bring a new one out for less than a second hand one this side i can use it for 9 months and then throw it back in a container when we head off to SA.

So yes i might be interested but a lot depends on space, timing and what are the chances of throwing it on your roof and saying its yours that you took out for our customs friends. Which port will you leave from?

where is the nearest british territory then?

seems very stupid. but its SA, my wife needs a new passport which she has to be finger printed for again?? then it can take up to 4 months to come through.

Do you have a passport for where were you born? could you not register it there and then leave in SA?

stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ooh interesting and unfortunate at the same time.

Do you have space for a RTT?

It sounds stupid but i can get on e in the uk for silly money and use it for the next 9 months and then return to SA with it or you could bring a new one out for less than a second hand one this side i can use it for 9 months and then throw it back in a container when we head off to SA.

So yes i might be interested but a lot depends on space, timing and what are the chances of throwing it on your roof and saying its yours that you took out for our customs friends. Which port will you leave from?

Jislaaik Warren !!! I'll be returning truck with my RTT so if I have space, then of course no problems if you deal with the duty and tax issues.

where is the nearest british territory then?

seems very stupid. but its SA, my wife needs a new passport which she has to be finger printed for again?? then it can take up to 4 months to come through.

Do you have a passport for where were you born? could you not register it there and then leave in SA?

stu

Gave up my Zim passport long time. Nearest BIT is Tristan de Cunha, Ascension or St Helena... Already explored those options, but getting vehicle and myself there and back is more expensive than a round container back to the UK.

This is just a case of protectionism. The ZA gov will not allow ANY foreign import, unless it is a genuine Historic "internationally recognised' classic vehicle.

Rollance

I have inquired with Hannibal and am waiting to hear form howling moon but it would seem days is all they need and they can assist with delivery to you.

Keep me posted and who knows this might not get off the ground but it might just.

Oh what are the chances of one of those black plastic garage push bikes we all had as kids?

I said a Container not an Ark, lads !

:icon-mad Bloody barstewards! I may have something that I want to bring back. I'll drop you a message.

The thought that comes to mind is that perhaps you have not bribed the right person yet?

Been down to SA 3 times this year and the price difference for the National Luna stuff is unbelievable, if there was room would be interested in a 52l fridge, £600 plus tax or £1100 here!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could just pack it full to the top with Biltong .....:drool:

Sorry you have to ship the 80 out, Lazz! I have been back 18 months now and still not registered my 80 and not been hassled at all driving around. Trying to get it registered is a nightmare with the incompetence and bureaucracy, so I feel your pain. Every couple of months I go to the authorities to try and complete the next step only to be knocked back with something trivial like getting a weigh-bridge certificate....to find that the weighbridge is out of action. And it must be that 'accredited' weighbridge and not another....

I appreciate you wanting to play by the rules and I guess you need to have your ducks in a row for border crossings, but driving it around SA would be no issue. As for them tracking it down and crushing it, I think you have more chance of winning the lottery....three times in a row....without buying any tickets.:icon-biggrin:

Ok so its looking increasingly likely that my truck will be back in July. I do have some space in the container, first come etc etc, but please don't T.T.P.

Please PM me if you have a request.

Lazz

Out of interest who are you using as i just got my first quote today to send mine over to SA and it was £3k prior to clearance and import costs that side?

That seems quite steep for a 20' container ! IIRC I paid under £2k from UK - SA

Using Meihuizen from SA end as they did the clearance on arrival and it is easier as they have the original manifest and docs from import.

Back