Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coolant Problem?

mmm, I am now worried! I have lost a bit of coolant recently. I had a new rad last year, extra cooler for auto box and 76 degree stat. Only just started to happen, so I am keeping an eye on it and getting prepared for the worst :(

Fingers crossed for you Steve i guess everyone jumps to that immediate conclusion at the first sign of trouble with the 1kz but i like to think it often turns out to be something of much lesser concern . Check around the turbo it's water and oil cooled and it gets so hot the drips from my heater pipes above it evaporated instantly so it took me a few weeks to find out where the coolant was going .

I need to give it a run and have a darn good look around/under etc, but popped a disc in my back a week or so ago, and am just 'obbling around at the mo! (full of pain killers and Ibro wotsit!)

I cant find anything obvious leak wise but Wify used it yesterday and when she got home after her run, (a good few decent drives & several stops in between) I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank and it was 1/4 inch below mark I had made Friday. This morning however, it was 1.5 inches below the mark, once it had cooled right down...... where can it go? There is no steam or white smoke from exhaust on start up hot or cold.
:fearscream:

Do you use the heater much Steve because if you don't the pipework can remain empty when you flush and refill coolant .

It had a new rad last year and heater been used last winter, but not for a few months now.
When it was cold i ran the engine with rad cap off but nothing much happened unil i used the idle up button and coolant came up to top of rad but no bubbles.
I think i better get coolant system pressure tested, but how can you tell by doing this if its the head thats gone ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe the pressure test will reveal the leak by forcing coolant out rather than in :handgestures-finge:

This is where i eventually found my leak Ste directly below the clutch reservoir , a stainless jubilee clip fixed it but i was almost convinced the head had gone because no coolant ever made it to the floor and nothing was ever wet . The turbo/exhaust fried the evidence for about 2 months .

coolant leak 002.JPG

Cheers Shayne - cant see anything at all around there, not even a damp patch :( but best thing I can do is pressure test it and hope some coolant squirts out somewhere I think.....

Hi steve,mine started leaking at the rear heater pipes under my motor took me a while to find the leak as stated above left no sign of a leak at first,changed both rear heater pipes to rubber and fine after.

Cheers Sag - I hope its something like this, i really do. I have some pipe that might do the job. OK its clear, food grade but no - one will know under there :)

Reactions: Sag
To find my leak i lay under the truck for about 15 minutes resigned to the fact it must be a cracked head and generally feeling sorry for myself - and then i seen it drip !

I survived th enight without incident, so will be doing exactly this a bit later - take it out for a thrash then lay underneath to see whats what.....crossing everything its a pipe!

Took her for a blast, got it upto 81 degrees at one point....its not very hilly round here.... (runs with out load at around 76 on tick over after warming up) got home, fast idle, rear heater pipes hot, no leaks, looked underneath for 10 mins, nothing, no drips, nowt :( water level not changed though........ got big sheet of cardboard underneath now, just incase a drip drips! Off out in it tonight, will check on start up for any steam. ho hum

Booked in for a coolant system pressure test tomorrow........

Well, picked up truck about 30 mins ago - my mech had pressure tested to 1 bar yesterday pm, and it lost a tiny bit of pressure over 3 or 4 hours. He then pressurised it up to 2 bar and left it all night - it was 1.5 bar this morning when we arrived. The only thing he could find was a bit of coolant crystalisation around the base of the water pump...which was a good thing. We agreed I would get a pump. Off he trotted to open the gates to let me out. I jumped in, turned the key and 'thump' tried again 'thump' 3rd time 'thump'. Bugger I thought...I know whats coming..... mech arrived and we lifted bonnet to see and tried key again and she fired up.....bit of (quite a bit of) white smoke, from Exhaust....bugger, bugger bugger...new head. :( The pressuring of system had forced water into cylinder stopping it from starting up.

bugger

Damned unlucky that Steve it's not like your truck has been shy of maintenance .

I have often wondered if gasket replacement at certain mileage might safe guard me from the 1kz head problem , and with that in mind i wonder if anyone has salvaged the head by just replacing the gasket .

I know Beau did by using extreme measures but maybe you can given your early diagnosis ?

That was lucky Steve. Water in the cylinder can cause broken piston even on cranking over.

There is nothing going into cooling system, it doesnt pressurise at all when the engine is running - well no more than it should - with his test kit on he started it up and the guage didnt rise so gasket appears OK

Back