Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Correct answer?

What is the correct answer?

• Total voters
Any thing times nothing is always nothing

Gra.

Since there are no brackets, the answer is 15, applying the rule that you multiply first, then add and subtract.
The x 0 only applies to the last 5 making it equal 0
It is 15 - 5 + 10 - 5 + 0 = 15

The multiplication MUST be done first, so it is NOT zero

Cossack said:
Since there are no brackets, the answer is 15, applying the rule that you multiply first, then add and subtract.
The x 0 only applies to the last 5 making it equal 0
It is 15 - 5 + 10 - 5 + 0 = 15

The multiplication MUST be done first, so it is NOT zero
We will see, ,, , ,

Gra.

I get 15 too - can't see how it can be anything else to be honest.

Now if there were some brackets in there somewhere, that would be a whole different answer......

[edit - spelling]

yes, you could bracket it and change the outcome but as it stands, it's 5x0 + the rest.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bat21 said:
joinerman said:
When i went to school the answer would have been 0,
When was that?
When they still used an abacus.
lol-045.gif

I was not even a conversation at the dinner table in the 60s so don't know but, how could the rules of maths have changes between then and now? If something as fundamental as that changed then surely it would have been the difference between landing on the moon and missing it by miles?

Crispin said:
it would have been the difference between landing on the moon and missing it by miles?
There may still be an astral 'Flying Dutchman' roaming the heavens, we would never have been told if they had missed :think:

Brackets, Orders, Divide, Multiply then left to right Add, Subtract...
that's what I remember...

And if that's not correct, I'm a Dutchman (lost in space) :doh:

For some strange reason we were actually taught BOMDAS at school when I left a mere 11 years ago. This is one of those silly equations which is designed to make you think the answer is a simple 0 but it is not. The fundamentals of maths have not changed 1+1 still does and will always equal 2.

I think that I am right in saying that BODMAS became mainstream with the widespread introduction of computers whereby programmers needed a unified an unambiguous rule to keep everyone on the same plane however even since the 16th century Multiplication has taken precident over addition and subtraction and the only way to overturn this is with the addition of brackets.

Yep I got BOMDAS too - and easy to remember with Body Of My Dear Aunt Sally

:lol:

Just bear in mind all those mocking the system...You wouldn't be posting here on an international Landcruiser forum (or any other internet base messaging application) without the BODMAS rule. it is simply the recognized methodology for determining system, setup!!!

Back