Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Could my pa be joining the club???

Well guess who I bumped into on the ascent of Mount Snowdon on Saturday...

Me Ma & Pa!!!

We didn't discuss the Yota but we will be doing when they get back from their break in Snowdonia

Thanks for all the input - link will be sent to Pa's pooter for his perusal on Friday afternoon, just in case there's any other wise words to heed :)

Cheers y'all :cool:

Shoot...  Looks like a spotty oik salesman has kippered this one...
Anyone know ow't about RAV4's...
:-(

No sig line, father in the proces of being disowned

;-)

tiny things, fairly comfy, not bad 4 wheel drive system but no low box.

They're crap off road and my girlfriend wants one :?

The 4 wheel drive system is pretty good and just works (except on the 2wd models :mrgreen: ) with no buttons to mess about with which is a good thing for some people :lol: Steph's did good in the snow we had earlier this year but they don't have any articulation to speak of and have tiny little wheels that don't give much clearance. Must be a girl thing because I don't like it but Steph loves it.

Have you ever towed with it Jon? Thats Pa's main reason for changing the Primera...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would imagine that the amount that it can tow is not much more then the Primera as the rav4 has a monocoque chassis. It wasn't really designed to tow heavy loads like landcruisers.

They seem to have the same towing limit of 1,500kgs braked according to the 'hits' I looked at...

I can start chipping away at him again now ;-) Cheers Rob

Gavlad said:
Have you ever towed with it Jon? Thats Pa's main reason for changing the Primera...
No we haven't Gav, sorry. Steph's is a 2001 2l petrol 5 door VX auto with black leather, it goes ok, does about 30mpg when I drive it ;) but it's tiny and feels like a toy compared to a LandCruiser. The boot isn't very big but the back seats do come out easily and have two positions so you can slide them forwards to make a bit more room or just take them out by pulling on a lever - I like that shame the cruiser doesn't do that.

What is it he wants to improve from the Primera?

I think he's had a couple of speed wobbles with the trailer tent on the back... At one stage he was hoping to have a truck tall enough to see over the trailer but when I pointed out it'd need to be built like MUX, he digressed... :lol:

He seemed to like the 120 we went out for a spin in so I don't quite know whats changing his mind - probably muvver dear... :roll:

I'll keep chipping away ;-)

We've an '01 2.0VVTi with 114k miles on it and going like a Swiss watch. Deffo not a real off roader but adequately competent in the crappo weather, like last winter. 2.0 petrol 150bhp and diesel about 120 bhp I think (obviously with more torque). There isn't a great deal of economy difference and unless yur mileage is big go for the petrol....they should be a good bit cheaper too.
Agree with comment on size. Despite it's looks, it's actually quite small inside and we struggle to get 3 children in seats accross the rear seat. Wife uses ours for children and going to work etc but on a long journey it's wearisome to drive, not helped by the fact that it could use a 6sp 'box and it's a bit noisy with the engine on a 5sp box at m/way speeds. 30mpg is easy enough in petrol away from the town. I think later models got a 6sp 'box.

As Jon says, the interior flexibilty with the rear seats makes the interior huge if they are lifted out and they are moveable separately and slidable on the floor too. (Something the new RAV doesn't have :roll: ). Fantastic quality exterior paint finish, even at 9 years old. When washed it really looks well.

Unbelievably reliable (we've only fitted 2 O2 sensors to the exhaust manifold in 4.5 years of having it) and piece of piddle to service. Still on original exhaust. Excellent little motor all round. And it don't half handle well either. (Indy susp all round). 4WD system is pretty good. I think only the 1.8 has 2WD and not even sure if it was imported to the UK. :?: Sails through every MOT.

Don't even think about the 3 door. Complete waste of time and noone wants them.

Bought!!! Well done Dr Peter :)

Very very nice - head & shoulders over the green one we went out in t'other week.

Here's hoping it holds together for him :shock:

Blimey, Pa doesn't hang about does he? :shock: :cool: :lol:

Good luck and hope your dad enjoys the "new" 120. :)

chadr said:
Blimey, Pa doesn't hang about does he?
Gotta strike while the iron is hot Chad!!!

I'm actually quite jealous but made up for him as I think its quite an honest car - but don't tell him that... :mrgreen:

Mum will come round eventually ;-)

Rob said:
is he on the forum yet?
I think he's having a pint to calm the nerves :lol:

He's been on viewing as a guest to date I think as he has been following this thread for hints & tips - I'll sign him up over the weekend :)

Congrats to your dad wise purchase.

And so starts the slippery slope...

Crispin said:
Does his have stickers yet?
I'll have to get some sorted from you dude - MUX is still unadorned :shock:

Jon Wildsmith said:
So what's your first fab job for that then Gav?
You think he's gonna let me anywhere near 'le truck nouveaux'? I don't...

But I think that rear bar Gaz was after would be a good start - I'll sneak in after dark ;-)

adrianr said:
And so starts the slippery slope...
One little shove... And over he goes ;-)

I had a quick chat with him after we'd all got home - kid in a sweet shop!!! Really made up but all miffed that he won't be getting it on the drive for over a week now for various reasons (finance, MOT, road tax, blah blah blah)

In a Peter loop, its a bit like history repeating itself... When we first got Tonka, I picked him up on the Friday, drove to work & back & the next day, we loaded up with the 'van & all our clobber for a fortnights hols in Tenby. The folks will (hopefully) pick the 'un, deux, zero' up on Thursday next for loading up to come on a weeks camp in North Wales with us on the Friday!!!

Now then, back to the fabrication works ;-)

Back