Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Croatia offroad tour 2011 with World 4x4

Lorin

Thought I'd put up a short selection of some photos and a bit of info from the 10 day Croatia tour we did with World 4x4 in August.

Ridiculously, on inspecting our photos it turns out I never got a decent picture with all the 4x4s :doh: So here is the best one I could find.

DSC02178.jpg

The vehicles in order from right to left were:
Ours - Land Cruiser 80 series
Land Rover 110 Tdi
HJ61 Turbo
Land Rover 90 Tdi
HJ60 Turbo
Jeep 6.1 litre V8

Most of the driving was on gravel tracks (unmade-up roads) though they varied from smooth to pretty rough with spectacular views through the mountains.

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02258.jpg

DSC02242.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02194.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

DSC02259.jpg

DSC02364.jpg

We also got to play with some very steep muddy and slippery tracks that required winching to complete :D

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02313.jpg

DSC02307.jpg

DSC02283.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02132.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

DSC02158.jpg

DSC02159.jpg

DSC02160.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02173.jpg

Overall the trip was fantastic. It was a good combination of easy offroad with a few more difficult sections thrown in and a couple of pretty extreme sections.

All the vehicles made it though there were a few issues and not with what you might expect...... Other than the 110 suffering with a flat battery on two occasions both LRs had NO issues :o

In contrast all the LCs did :shock: Although to be fair the 61 only suffered a broken PTO UJ thereby crippling his winch half way up a steep climb. The 60 destroyed its rear diff (possibly something to do with being on 37s) but the guys simply stripped it, cleaned out all the broken bits - and there were a lot - and put it back together with various improvised solutions. It then carried on without a hitch, just making a fair few clicking noises :thumbup:

We on the other hand a few slight issues :sick: First we discovered that the captive nut which the bolt connecting the front panhard rod screws into on the axle had obviously broken off. The bolt was loose but there was no way of tightening it and it had rounded out the hole it goes through meaning the panhard rod had a fair bit of movement where there should have been none. One of the inaccessible captive nuts holding the rear anti-roll bar in place had also been affected by the same meaning the bolt couldn't be tightened and the bar rattled :evil: The front diff pinion decided to throw lots of oil out and make a huge mess everytime we drove anywhere. We developed a diesel leak from the pump on the second day that continued despite numerous attempts to both fix and bodge it. We lost all oil pressure on day 7 whilst driving up a hill in 4th gear at about 50mph - thereafter the oil pressure gauge seemed to be all over the place. And finally we had some of our newly installed electrics go up in smoke, luckily causing no real damage but a very rapid exit from the vehicle and feeling of panic :sick:

Despite our issues the truck carried on regardless and more than held its own against the others. According to our guide, we acheived the highest ever climb on one of the extreme sections (fully locked :twisted: ) beating all the others - although the jeep had departed by then.

We then carried on after the tour spending a week in Slovenia and generally touring around.

We did a total of 4132 miles.
Used 920.07 litres or 202.66 gallons of diesel
Average mpg was 20.4, best was 22.3 (driving on gravel tracks at 30-40 mph), worst was 18.6 (70 mph on the motorway). At 60-65mph on the motorway we averaged 20-21 mpg. No idea how the fuel leak affected things as it was there for both the best and the worst.

Cracking pics Lorin :thumbup: , I recognise nearly all of those tracks, especially that boggy field :lol:

excellent pics .. ...nice to see a variety of vehicles too :thumbup:

Great pics and nice write up thank you for sharing. nice diversity of vehicles too.

sounds like a great trip and a good mix of driving. hope you get the LC fixed soon

Looks like a great trip Lorin. What happened with the electrics then?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
Looks like a great trip Lorin. What happened with the electrics then?

Not entirely sure but the culprit was a feed wire to my 3 newly installed 12v sockets that had been spliced into the original cig lighter feed. The "electrician" who installed it all had taken the feed from the original cig lighter feed and then simply replaced the original 8 amp fuse with a 25 amp :shock:

I assume there was some sort of short as that wire basically melted under the dash filling the truck with smoke. As soon as I killed the ignition it stopped smoking and I then ripped it all out and replaced the original fuse :evil:

I will now instruct the installer to supply the new sockets with a dedicated feed from the battery and fuse them all separately. Also all the connections need to be made stronger as several came loose during the trip and had to be put back. Other than that the Sterling performed superbly as did the inverter and the 250ah bank was more than adequate for all our power needs.

great pics and report Lorin. :clap:

Cossack said:
Cracking pics Lorin :thumbup: , I recognise nearly all of those tracks, especially that boggy field :lol:

i was reading about your Croatia trip in the latest total off road magazine Chas. some great pics too. :thumbup:

ben said:
i was reading about your Croatia trip in the latest total off road magazine Chas. some great pics too. :thumbup:
That was the 2010 trip, I've recently got back from the 2011 trip

Cossack said:
ben said:

must be good if youve been 2 years running. you got any pics? :thumbup:

Lorin said:
Not entirely sure but the culprit was a feed wire to my 3 newly installed 12v sockets that had been spliced into the original cig lighter feed. The "electrician" who installed it all had taken the feed from the original cig lighter feed and then simply replaced the original 8 amp fuse with a 25 amp :shock:
No surprise that wire got hot and melted then :evil: You were very lucky, that could have been much more serious, I don't think I'd want that 'electrician' working on anything again :naughty:

ben said:
Cossack said:
ben said:

must be good if youve been 2 years running. you got any pics? :thumbup:
This year was the FOURTH trip I've done to Croatia :shock: , so yes I do like it there :dance: , as Lorin said it's mostly unmade roads/tracks, a bit like green laning with a few more severe sections. There is one bit that Robb Pritchard calls the waterfall, it's more of a water course where loggers have dragged trees down and then water has cut it deeper, dry most of the time, but in winter I imagine it's a raging torrent, this years trip did it up the waterfall, which is probably impossible without winching, parts of it are about a 45 degree incline and I couldn't risk it as my alternator was playing silly buggers and not charging the batteries fully and getting stuck halfway up with a flat battery was not an option as there is no way of backing down or turning round, I was a bit pi**ed off as I could have gone down it, but I have done it before.
One other section is a very narrow track with bushes on one side and a 30/40 mtr drop on the other which if you're in a right hand drive truck you can't see :o I just made sure the bushes engraved a few more scratches in the paintwork :lol:

2011-07-20Cliff36.jpg

A few more pics from this year;

View from one of the camp sites

Bridgeoverlake.jpg

Well and truly STUCK;

IMG_0316.jpg

Some of the other trucks, Landcruiser, Landcruiser, Pajero, Landcruiser and bringing up the rear a Defender who I came back to the UK with, luckily as he had to give me a jump start every time I had to turn the engine off, so LR's do have their uses :lol:

IMG_0331.jpg

Another shot of the convoy;

IMG_0370.jpg

Our leader Robb Pritchard with bottle in hand;

IMG_0333.jpg

Me bottling my own wine, not bad stuff;

IMG_0487.jpg

Local brew;

IMG_0390.jpg

And finally a shot of the ferry you may recognise from my previous sig pic;

IMG_0313.jpg

Great pics Lorin & Chas - having seen some of Vrecha's posts in the past, your's make me want to head out that way now!!!

:cool:

Back