Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cubby Box Lid Driving Me Crazy!

That's great info. I can try to work a solution on the bottom part knowing that if I mess up I can always replace it cheaply. Thanks again!
I've just had a look at mine, are we talking about just the top lid flying open? or the lid and the tray flying open?

The part on the lid doesn't go far enough forward under the keeper on the box. Does that make sense? My explanation is bit clumsy.
If the part on the lid isn't going far enough forward, is the spring in the latch working?

If the part on the lid isn't going far enough forward, is the spring in the latch working?

It's only the lid that flies open. There is a bit of travel on the latch but it may well be the spring which is goosed as the latch doesn't come far enough forward. Is there a possible fix or is it a new lid?

It's only the lid that flies open. There is a bit of travel on the latch but it may well be the spring which is goosed as the latch doesn't come far enough forward. Is there a possible fix or is it a new lid?
So a new bottom latch will be no good to you, I’ll have a look at my lid tomorrow, but don’t hold your breath, as it must be difficult to get at or Toyota would sell it separately, I think you spring has lost some of it’s spring.

bad design I think.

Btw, did you sort your squeak out?

Funnily enough the squeak isn't there today. The plot thickens!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
5fda98bc-b21f-45ca-ace6-5e48b2885d9b-jpeg.163921.jpg

This leaves me struggling to imagine how it catches while at the same time thinking a heat gun used with caution and patience usually returns car plastics to their original shape .

I was thinking that myself although I don't know why. Interesting!
Did you pinpoint where the noise was coming from? As sometimes water acts as lubricant so if the squeak was under the bonnet water may have gotten onto a steering joint under there.

Stranger things have happened at sea:)

Did you pinpoint where the noise was coming from? As sometimes water acts as lubricant so if the squeak was under the bonnet water may have gotten onto a steering joint under there.

Stranger things have happened at sea:)

This is quite a difficult one to pinpoint. I thought that it sounded as if the squeak was being caused the wheel just catching the column. When I looked at the column surface where it meets the wheel there was a black deposit of some nature. Since I removed that the squeak has gone. It may however be coincidence. I’ll monitor things over the next few days and see what happens.

Back to the Console lid problem, I can now see why the latch is not sold separately, it's part of the lid molding so can't be got at without damaging the lid, as I said, the only thing I can think of if the latch is not coming far enough forward, is that the spring is worn, I was thinking about trying to oil it, to see if that would help, you can get small oilers with what looks like a long needle but is a small tube and the oil is very light, have a look on eBay.

The other thing would be, if you can't make the latch go further forward would be to make the receiver of the latch slightly smaller, off the top of my head, I was thinking of a small (smaller than the one in my pic) washer or similar on the top with a small short screw, or maybe use one of the previous posters suggestions, but what ever you do it would be a bodge job, and if it were me it would bug the hell out of me.

IMG_1782.jpg

Back to the Console lid problem, I can now see why the latch is not sold separately, it's part of the lid molding so can't be got at without damaging the lid, as I said, the only thing I can think of if the latch is not coming far enough forward, is that the spring is worn, I was thinking about trying to oil it, to see if that would help, you can get small oilers with what looks like a long needle but is a small tube and the oil is very light, have a look on eBay.

The other thing would be, if you can't make the latch go further forward would be to make the receiver of the latch slightly smaller, off the top of my head, I was thinking of a small (smaller than the one in my pic) washer or similar on the top with a small short screw, or maybe use one of the previous posters suggestions, but what ever you do it would be a bodge job, and if it were me it would bug the hell out of me.

View attachment 163983

That looks a pretty good solution. Like yourself it would bug me but it is still better than the lid flying up all the time. Many thanks.

That looks a pretty good solution. Like yourself it would bug me but it is still better than the lid flying up all the time. Many thanks.
And better for your bank balance, I can't believe how expensive those lids are, keep your eye open for a used one on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most common problem with the latch is that the hinges are bent or shifted because of undue force on the lid. If the hinges are not keeping the lid in the right place, the catch will miss.
Another thing that happens when people sit on the lid is that the rubber feet brake off, making the lid rattle.

Back