cubby swap

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
My 100 came with an in dash radio cassette and a 6 disc CD changer in the cubby box between the front seats. When I installed a Pioneer DEH-8100BT head unit xmas 2009 I also hooked up an ipod classic that lives in the car hidden away so the CD changer became redundant and a candidate for removal to get more cubby space. I ordered a replacement cubby interior for a model without the CD changer (58912-60020) on the basis my local dealer will take it back if it's wrong :) but I only got round to trying it today when I wanted to fit more [strike:12a1k89m]rubbish[/strike:12a1k89m] essential items in there and couldn't! Took me about an hour to swap them over and I even remembered to take a couple of pictures :D

new (left) vs old (right). Per cubic cm gained it's expensive but it does give a lot more space for essentials :mrgreen:

Image0393.jpg

installed:

Image0395.jpg

To remove the console, open the rear cup holder and undo the 4 screws that exposes and then remove the rear console panel. You should then be able to unscrew the little control panel attached to the rear of the console.

Image0398.jpg

undo the 4 bolts in the bottom of the cubby box:

Image0396.jpg

with the seats all the way back and with a screwdriver with a right angle head (I have a little rachet one that's perfect for this) or possibly a small spanner, undo the screws where the rear console meets the front console one each side. Then slide the seats forwards and undo the rear most / lowest screw you'll see on the side. The two higher up hold the cubby into the console and don't need removing till the console is removed.

Lift the rear edge of the front console and you should be able to pull the rear console clear and be left with this (except yours may be cleaner!)

Image0386.jpg

unbolt the 4 or so CD changer bolts, unplug the electrical connectors and [strike:12a1k89m]throw it in the bin[/strike:12a1k89m] put somewhere safe:

Image0390.jpg

The cubby comes out of the console quite easily but this is where you'll wish you remembered to empty the top section before you started ;) There are the two external screws each side and then a row of screws along the front and rear edges:

Image0391.jpg

With all the screws removed the cubby just pulls out. Push the new one into place and you'll want the top flap / arm rest open to get the rear holes to line up properly otherwise the spring tension on the hinge pulls it all out of alignment.

Screw it all back together and ejoy all that extra space :thumbup:

Image0396.jpg

Jon

Very nice job and one I am keen to do. Could you either give cost of said box or pm me the cost please and what have you done with the old CD unit as i know they are sort after second hand so may be worth putting onto Ebay as a thought?

Looks like the box cost $167.71 which is quite expensive

RRP is £125, mine was £112, plus VAT from my local dealer but have a word with Ian ;)

Hello mate,

When you installed the Pioneer system, how difficult was it to remove the existing Radio/Nav/cassette system?

I just got myself a similar system, not Pioneer, too expensive, but a similarly kited out one.

Just give me a few tips before I start damaging the dash up. :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you have the old style dash like me then it's easy but the ones with touch screen integrated controls are a bit of a none starter. The dash just pulls out, disconnect the connectors on the back and the stereo mounting is exposed. Undo the 4 screws that hold the stereo cage in place and pull it out, disconnect the old stereo. You'll probably need an converter for the wiring which places like Halfrauds do for £10 or so and then the new one should be pretty much plug and play. Check the antenna still gets power and works how you want before you put it all back together as there's usually a couple of different options for how that's powered. Goes back together even easier than it comes apart.

If you have a blanking plate in the lower left of the dash then it's easy to pop that out then you can get a few finger in the hole and pull the dash out from there.

Back