Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CV boot leaking grease

Riaan

Yesterday I noticed that my passenger side CV boot was leaking some grease. Similar to Crispin's. Sorry can't post link but if you do a search on "leaking CV boot" you should see a picture that Crispin posted a while back. Although mine is not leaking as much. It's loose and I can turn it by hand. Soooo ... can I just purchase a stainless steel hose-clamp from store or should I stick with Toyo standard stock? On another forum someone just put some electrical tape around the boot a few times and re-used the existing clamp - not sure how good that will work... :icon-confused:

Also, I'm pretty sure it hasn't leaked too much .... should I try and replace / add some grease? If so how can I go about that (without taking wheel off and dismantling everything...?) I thought maybe it's possible to try and somehow squeeze some grease back in there with a small grease gun or something else (suggestions welcome)..?

LC4 54 plate with 81K

Thanks Again for any input!
Riaan

_slightly_ late reply...

You don't get, as far as I remember, replacement clips from Mr-T for it. It's a whole-boot thing. Also, the clips were not open if I remember correctly. You would have to slide it over the shaft.

When I sold the 120 the hoseclips I had used were still doing their job so just go with that?

GSF car parts do replacement clips

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/982aa3860 and they also do the clamp tool, these clips are open so you can put them around an existing boot without taking it off.

I would get a tub of CV grease and try and get some in if the existing hasn't emulsified.

In the end I managed to get some grease in there and used a stainless clamp to hold it. Those replacement clips from GSF looks the part though, I will order some of those and replace!

Double check the size you need as my link might not be the actual length I bought (can't remember offhand which one i went for).I'd recommend getting the clamp tool as it really makes it a very easy job.

Back