Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cv joints, where to buy.

stevoyorke

Hi does anyone know where I can buy top quality cv joint for a land cruiser VX 80 as I ve been quoted by toyota which is far too much.
Thanks steve

Milners were stocking HDK units a while back which were reputed to be good quality.

I have had Eizura (sp) ones in at the moment & they seem good; others have had them too.

The search function should return plenty of threads on this for you too - it is a well discussed subject :lol:

Cheers

milners have got back to me, £60 quid plus vat for HDK cv joints, seems rather on the cheap side compared to blueprint ones at 170, both are reputed to be good. MMMM which do i go for! Have been told by Milners HDK have had no issues with them... has anyone had issues with either??

Steve, at that price they have to be worth a bash - maybe buy 3 "just in case" ;) Make sure that they're the right type for your LC - i.e. they have ABS rings if required and are long/short depending on your drive flange type.

I bought some of the original Iezuras and they were £55-ish a few years ago. I haven't had any issues with them but they're the only ones I've tried since replacing the original ones and I've never bust one.

With the HDK CVs if your vehicle is pre 94 then you will have to also get the drive flanges to match which are about £30+VAT each.

I only know because I have just fitted a pair to mine :thumbup:

The only difference I could see betweeen genuine and HDK was the Genuine had a larger bearing cup and race and were slightly shorter shaft then the HDK.

In an ideal world I would have chosen to go Mr T but at the telephone number prices I was quoted I had no choice but to opt for a cheaper alternative. :thumbdown:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi thanks to all for your help, I have done the job of replacing the cv joints with HDK ones and the seals, bearings too making a complete job of it, takes a lot of grease and getting mucked up. HDK cv joint I hope will last well. :thumbup:

HDK also make ball/roller bearings, and the "Bullet" train is fitted with them as OE equipment.

Roger

I am in the process of fitting a pair of HDK outer shafts. My yoke is a 93 12 valve manual - has anyone overlanded with these shafts or will I have to upgrade further? Also the HDK kit comes with one snap-ring, is this for replacing the clip that holds the inner shaft into the cv or does it go on the outer end at the drive flange?

My HDK feels good so far, that snap ring that came with the new cv I put on the end of the drive shaft that snaps in place in the cv joint, not on the end of the cv joint. Hope that helps.

IRLGW said:
is this for replacing the clip that holds the inner shaft into the cv or does it go on the outer end at the drive flange?
C-clip is for the half-shaft end that goes into the "spider" inside the CV bell IIRC. The c-clip on the end of the CV (i.e. sticking out the drive flange) is reusable as it is easily removed without damage during the tear-down. But the c-clip inside the old CV typically gets fubared during dismantling.

Ok so I need to get a replacement for the outer as mine was lost when the boulder hit it and broke everything! Is the outer ring necessary though and does it affect travel of the suspension if you fit a lift kit?

I would get a replacement outer ring as toyota designed it to be there for a reason, not to put one in place, anything could happen and open to speculation to what damage could happen without it. Your car at the end of the day thou.!

Hi speaking of cv joints, while trying to complete stage 2 at lincomb (unsuccesfully) i think it was stephen who said my driver side cv was clunking! is this serious? do i have to get this changed straight away or it's not that serious? please let me khow as i don't want to do more damage by driving around more than nececary

You could do a quick test on that clunking, jack up that wheel to see if it runs freely or not but if it's clunking driving on the straight and the fact it only started to do this after that stage two means there must be some damage and should be striped to check it out.

Ram, You should be fine for normal road driving without any of lockers in. Only time ive had any go it when off road.Something worth thinking about doing though. Im sure i can get some more of the Iezuras for a touch more than the milner ones.

Karl

Thanks steve i'll give it a go as soon as this weather clears up but as karl mentioned it's no bother for normal driving so mind at rest.

Hi karl i'll give you a shout if need any,meanwhile have you got any old sliders knocking about?
thanks
ram

I've got nothing ram but I'll drop a couple of pms to someone who may be able to sort you out.

Karl

Back