Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash Lights Flashing

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
Just recently the 80 has come up with a wee fault. When the revs get above 2400rpm and under load the dash lights can intermittently flash. Its almost like the alternator briefly stops charging but the volt meter reading stays constant while it does it. I have checked all the connectors I can find but they all seem secure and clean. When the problem first occured I was doing over 70mph (on a private road :whistle: ). Now they flash when accelerating harder than normal. When under normal load or gently accelerating the lights don't flash at all.

It doesn't always do it but every now and again the gremlin rears its ugly head and the lights flash again. Any suggestions?

I want to see if I can fix it myself before spending out on a grown up :roll:

Hmm, reminiscent of the diode pack failing. Could just be a loose connection or a sticking brush, but I had very similar symptoms with Lil Blue before the diode pack went.

C

I had exactly this happen about a week or two ago, another alternator from Steff, problem solved. :thumbup:

Take the plug off the back of your alternator, clean it, poke it, prod it, bend the female connectors a little so that they grip the male ones better (ooer), spray with WD40 or better still ACF50 if you have any.... plug plug back in..... no more flashing dash lights.... sorted :thumbup:

Total cost tofix, about 1p :thumbup:

Cheers for the advice guys. :thumbup:

I will give the terminals a good clean and poke like you say. Hopefully this will sort it.
I know the alternator was new just before I bought the truck but hey, even new parts can fail. :roll:

Failing that I will change the diode pack. Where would I find it? :roll:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ecoman said:
I will give the terminals a good clean and poke like you say. Hopefully this will sort it.
I know the alternator was new just before I bought the truck but hey, even new parts can fail. :roll:

Failing that I will change the diode pack. Where would I find it? :roll:
You won't need to change anything.... just do as you're told and all will be fine.... trust me :D :D :D

Oops I forgot to update this :oops:

I cleaned all the connections and even replaced a dodgy looking wire but nothing changed.

I finally got to the bottom of the issue and it turned out to be a dodgy alternator. It was kicking out 13.2 volts max at high revs and only 12.9 volts at tickover.

I ended up fitted a 120A replacment and all became good again. :thumbup:

Back