Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dc to Dc charger comparisons...thoughts

Bill Vaile

Country Flag
australia
Hi Crew I want to install a dc to dc charger. And would like to know your thoughts. I have a 200 series cruiser and tow a camper with 2 125 AH AGM batteries that I charge through 2 solar panels and an Anderson plug from the LC when towing. I have just installed a marine deep cycle and 810 cca crank battery replacing the 2 smaller 600 cca batteries. I want a simple, rugged charger as we are regularly of the black top. Thoughts and advice. Limited space under the hood and I do creek crossings. cheers

Hi bill,
I am also looking to do this soon to run a fridge freezer off amongst other things.
My target dc to dc charger at present is the Redarc BCDC1240 which will accept a solar input but crucially for me takes from 9v to 32v input as my 60 is 24v. It delivers 40 amps and has lots of features if you want to google it. There are lots more out there.
Their site recommends mounting it close to the aux battery
Best of luck

Hi bill,
I am also looking to do this soon to run a fridge freezer off amongst other things.
My target dc to dc charger at present is the Redarc BCDC1240 which will accept a solar input but crucially for me takes from 9v to 32v input as my 60 is 24v. It delivers 40 amps and has lots of features if you want to google it. There are lots more out there.
Their site recommends mounting it close to the aux battery
Best of luck
Hi Ben, the redarc seem to make really good kit, I have their brake controller and love it. I have seen the project 200 youtube and did not want to mount it in front of the radiator, love the 40amp but the price is worrying me a bit (not to mention the minister of finance) thanks for your reply

Agree, very happy with my redarc chargers.
Have you had a look at the Intervolt DCC Pro? http://www.intervolt.com/product/in-vehicle-dc-dc-battery-charger/
I’ve also done a write up on here with photos.
Hi Starcruiser
Yes the intervolt certainly got my attention, loved the waterproofing and other feature but saw some bad reviews re the in car monitor causing problems and a dodgy harness. Have you had this problem. and I forget how many amps does it push push out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not had any problems. Very happy. It will push a maximum of 25A where necessary. In other words if the battery needs it. I can’t imagine Intervolt would ignore a problem as they’ve been very helpful and communicative. They can’t make enough of them.

Hi All
Yes the intervolt has great spec but I too have seen 2 dodgy reviews that bag the external display which worries me as we intend to hit the corrugations in July

Talk to Intervolt about it. They’re very helpful. Maybe you’ve both seen the same reviews. 2 in thousands is pretty low and they may have got to the bottom of it. Or PM me a link and I’ll raise it with them.

Hi Starcruiser
this is one link, and hate to promote bad news, I cant find the other for some reason. thanks for your help Billy

Hi Starcruiser
this is one link, and hate to promote bad news, I cant find the other for some reason. thanks for your help Billy
I hate to promote bad news too which is why I suggested a PM or ‘Conversation’ as they call them on here.

Last edited:
I hate to promote bade news too which is why I suggested a PM or ‘Conversation’ as they call them on here.

Sorry mate I am not up with the lingo, I will both them and redarc tomorrow. Another problem that you may be to help me (us) with is I have now split my two cruiser batterys so I have one Deep cycle, the camper trailer has two AGM batteries 2 x 125ah. I don't take it all the times but most times. Is it possible to get too big a dc to dc charger ie the 40amp over the 25amp.

No. The current drawn will be governed by what the battery needs not what the charger can deliver. Just size wiring and fuses correctly.

Back