Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diagnosing 1UZFE V8 overfueling in LJ70. Let the games begin...

Opp, deleted my first bit - welcome to the forum - can't wait to see pics of the 73 with the V8. I love mine, still puts a smile on my face everytime. There was a new Audi yesterday that was all over me in city traffic, so I put my foot down in second on a steep hill and left him in the proverbial dust. He caught back up, but didn't ride nearly so close after that ;)

Glad you liked the link. I thought it looked pretty handy too.

Will need to pull my finger out and get my laptop hooked up and software installed. Or you can go first and show me how to do it :)

Glad you liked the link. I thought it looked pretty handy too.

Will need to pull my finger out and get my laptop hooked up and software installed. Or you can go first and show me how to do it :)
Ha, no probs, I'm pretty busy at the moment, but if I get it all going I'll definitely post on it. It seems like the trick it to take the time to do it right initially, a lot of the problems on the Lex forum seemed to be from slapping it together excitedly, which is sort of my style normally ;) Cheers!

Is your tacho working? One thing not working for me. Will need to get some lexus wiring diagrams and some toyota wiring diagrams and put my thinking cap on.

But original engine was a turbo diesel so redline is low at 5-6k rpm. Might have to look at putting aftermarket in the dash and removing existing.

Actually no, that's on my list. I've chased up the wire from the dist. but messed around a bit trying to connect it up to instrument cluster and gave up fairly quickly, had lots of other wiring at the time, mainly oil pressure to sort, so it go pushed to the side. The previous owner's mechanic was unable to get it working, but I need to have another bash. I've been going by sound, have a ballpark idea on revs, but a tach would be very nice! A 6k tacho is enough for me, I think the original redline was 6200rpm, but a bigger tacho would be fun.

Is your tacho working? One thing not working for me. Will need to get some lexus wiring diagrams and some toyota wiring diagrams and put my thinking cap on.

But original engine was a turbo diesel so redline is low at 5-6k rpm. Might have to look at putting aftermarket in the dash and removing existing.

You could fit the instrument cluster out of a petrol RJ70 if you wanted a higher red line. :think:

Looking forward to seeing pics of your 73 Ako. :icon-wink:

Is it a Jap import? :icon-smile:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah that's true. I've an LJ70, it's an original UK motor, 1988, but the previous owner basically restored it inside and out, minus a few bits, and had a shop install the 1UZFE.

The shop never finished the install to a decent spec, and it ran really rich when I got it with a misfire at low revs, none of the gauges were working and the oil sump was leaking badly, so I got a bit of a deal on it. The 4wd was also stuck on, but I jumped a vacuum line and it disengaged and now works properly.

I chased up a ton of small wiring issues, grounded the igniters properly, and replaced the plugs and dizzy cap/rotors and leads, and installed a missing O2 sensor on on side which was preventing the motor from running in closed loop. My fuel economy jumped from 16-17mpg to 25+ on the motorway!

I still have a lot of little things to sort, but I've put well over 1500 miles on it now, including some boggy offroad stuff for work and some snowy tracks recently. I love it, never want to sell it! Someday might swap out the 4:88 ring & pinion for a 4:11 for better motorway cruising, and my dream would eventually be a 3UZFE 4.3l vvti lump with a supercharger running a megasquirt ecu. I'd like to lift the body from the chassis next summer and give everything a good clean and paint as it's in pretty good nick for an old farm truck! A few rusty spots, but nothing mega at all. We have a little girl now, so time and ££ is in short supply, but the hard part is done fortunately!

That's it last week up in the Highlands. I was the only 4x4 to go over the track that morning, had the place to myself ;)
15025566_1176811802407544_3038499024941434199_o.jpg

You could fit the instrument cluster out of a petrol RJ70 if you wanted a higher red line. :think:

Looking forward to seeing pics of your 73 Ako. :icon-wink:

Is it a Jap import? :icon-smile:

Started a new thread to stop bothering Rob. Just worked out the 6200 rpm redline is not much more than the diesel. Just assumed it would be higher.

German import as we are arse about LHD here.

Started a new thread to stop bothering Rob. Just worked out the 6200 rpm redline is not much more than the diesel. Just assumed it would be higher.

German import as we are arse about LHD here.

You're not bothering me, no worries, lol :) I've gotten used to shifting by ear, but a tach would be nice, need to get on that! What's the 22R redline at I wonder?

Back