Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel injector cleaners and fuel additives... Do they work?

Lorin

Anyone got any experience of or reliable technical knowledge about the various diesel injector cleaners and fuel additives? Specifically, is there any fact to the numerous claims..?

The primary claims are: improved mpg (albeit slightly), reduced noise and smoke, improved performance via increased cetane (for some only), cleans the injectors / fuel system, and lubricates the fuel pump.

Having trawled the web (mostly forums) it appears there is more support for them having some benefit over none but it's all anecdotal. I can't find any independent reports or similar examining any of the claims.

Main brands appear to be: STP, Millers, Redex, Wynn's, BG244, Lucas, and Forte although Toyota do their own brand too.

Only bit that makes sense to me is if they do clean and lubricate the injectors and pump, I guess a slight increase in mpg and reduction in noise and smoke is plausible.

Any thoughts...?

Hi Lorin

Not sure of any of those. never used them.

I add 250 ml ATF to each tank (lube for pump, helps injectors too)

100 ml acetone - make diesel burn a bit faster so you get a more complete burn - less smoke, more mpg.

and every 8th tank i run 4 litres of unleaded petrol through her.

Not much harm in running these additives through occasionally but I doubt they do much extra for your LC. They might offer better fuel economy but given their price, they don't offer lower £/mile ;)
Or you could buy the premium diesel at BP and Shell with some of these additives supposedly added...

I run a bottle of Forte through mine every oil change. Otherwise the occasional bottle of Redex for entertainment when I get bored of putting nothing other than diesel in for a while. But I don't have a regular program of using additives other than when servicing.

I never use any additives, maybe i should try to see if it makes a difference

A few years ago my 80 failed it's MOT on emissions :cry: , the tester man said put some Redex in and go for a drive and come back and I'll test it again, I did, went back and she sailed through :cool: , I've been using it ever since. I don't know it it needs it on every fill-up but I've been doing that to be on the safe side.
Chas

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back