Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel leak - help needed

Nelson_2946

Evening everyone.
I have an issue with my 1992 80 series which in summery is, as soon as the engine fires up, fuel instantly starts flowing from right side on the engine. I've managed to trace it back to the fuel inlet and with some help removed the main fixing in the vain hope that a clean up and reset would help, clearly it didn't.

Is this a common problem? Has anyone suffered similar issues and how easy would it be rectify with the right experience.

As you can see from the photo attached, it's clearly been an issue for some time and the whole engine bay could do with some attention.

Ultimately I inherited the truck (lucky I know) and had been neglected since my dad had it, and has been garaged standing for a considerable period of time since then.
I'm not mechanically minded in the slightest but I am keen to restore her back to a decent standard.

Any advice regarding my little issue will be great fully received.

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 192
try ptfe tape on the threads of the fitting for a start- if not it could be a seal somewhere. try IH8mud forum as I think there can be a problem with seals on the shaft or something.

I had a leak that appeared to be coming from the same place. After lots of failed fixes it turned out to be the fuel pump seal - I think is called the governer cover gasket/seal. Cost a few pounds from Mr T for the seal and sorted leak completely

Hi lorin are you reffering to the mechanism under the rubber on the right of the photo? i was told that would cost me about 150- 200 when my truck went to Greg for the whole of fuel system clean up and pump and injectors renewals and was told it was irelevent and has been blocked of.
Sorry end of thread hijack

Hi Ram, no, I am referring to the seal between the top and bottom sections of the main body of the fuel pump. Basically the top section of the pump body can be removed and the seal between it and the bottom section is an often reported source of leaks originating from the pump. I think what you are referring to may be the ACSD or cold start device that is also a common source of fuel leaks and is typically removed and blanked off rather than replaced.....

Last edited:
yep that's the one, well mine's been blanked off wasn't that important i was told

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've also had a leak from the acsd and governer seals. See here:. http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/44568-Fuel-Leak?.

I found it quite hard to pinpoint the source of the leak but with a fair bit of cleaning and working systematically you should be able to track it down. If it is the governer seal. It took a couple of hours( i work quite slowly) but diy-able if you've got the patience (hooking the cover back on took the majority of mine!)

Hope that helps....

Back