Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel or LPG

oostsco

Thought i would never look at petrol again............... but the 100 series petrol is very tempting when looking at the prices on Autotrader - some come with LPG.

Is LPG worth looking at? What are the pros and cons?

I need some help please!

Thought i would never look at petrol again............... but the 100 series petrol is very tempting when looking at the prices on Autotrader - some come with LPG.

Is LPG worth looking at? What are the pros and cons?

I need some help please!

Well definite pro is price of fuel and a con is you have to fit an extra tank, my 80 runs equally well on either fuel, apart from that I can't think of anything else, but I'm sure someone will jump up soon. :lol:

Also if you can find a Autogas distributer near you LPG is only 65p a litre. The petrol feels like driving an electric car after a diesel

Thanks for the comments so far guys

Any risks when using LPG off-road if the tank is fitted underneath the vehicle?

How do maintenance costs compare between LPG and diesel?

..Any risks when using LPG off-road if the tank is fitted underneath the vehicle?

How do maintenance costs compare between LPG and diesel?

It depends on the kind of tank you go for - I have a 80ltr LPG tank where the original petrol tank used to be - it does hang down a bit more than the OEM item because it is cylindrical and would be awkward to fit a bash plate. I also have a custom made 50ltr petrol tank where the OEM auxiliary fuel tank would have been - i.e. roughly under the rear seat, passenger side, along the chassis rail. So I'm always a bit careful when I go off-roading - though I wouldn't consider myself as a serious off-roader anyway.

WRT to maintenance of the LPG system <<touch-wood>>, I've not had any issues with my (BRC) LPG system. I've only ever had the filters changed once and it is performing as well as ever. I always keep a check of MPG on gas, and it has been pretty consistent for the last few years - anywhere between 16.5mpg and 19.5mpg, depending on driving style. Typically 19mpg at 65/70mph on a M'way run. I run slightly oversize ATs but if you go for a more tarmac friendly tyre I'm sure you can get 20mpg+. On petrol I used to get 22mpg consistently for 4-5 years on the OEM Dunlops before I went LPG.

The 3.4V6 is pretty bulletproof and only needs oil changes every 9k. I use fully synth oil and OEM filters. The oil would probably be OK for longer TBH as it is still quite clear and only tinged black even at 9k - but it roughly works out about once a year for me so no big issue and I always change it. You'll also need decent plugs and leads to get the best out of LPG.

Which ever you go for make sure the cooling system is in tip top condition and if an auto, that there is no contamination of the ATF with coolant.

Good Luck. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Diesel WITH LPG is the answer. Not either or. That gives the smoothness (well, almost) and speed of a petrol and the grunt of a diesel on steroids, combined with the economy of LPG. And the lpg tank will be much smaller and easier to fit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have the same setup as Chadr. Seems to work well (only had it about a month) and get similar figures to him (slightly worse as I have a leaden foot).

The V6 is creamy smooth compared to a diesel and the running costs work out favourably. The biggest thing is to ensure you have an LPG filling station fairly handy to your normal routes. My nearest is about 12 miles away from home but I drive past it to and from work so its really only an issue on weekends if I use it a lot.

As mentioned the ignition system needs to be spot on for the gas to function properly.

Thanks for the info Chad.

I have seen you get Diesel/LPG in Auz not seen it in UK yet. uHu are you using diesel/lpg?

Diesel WITH LPG is the answer. Not either or. That gives the smoothness (well, almost) and speed of a petrol and the grunt of a diesel on steroids, combined with the economy of LPG. And the lpg tank will be much smaller and easier to fit.

Thanks for the info Chad.

I have seen you get Diesel/LPG in Auz not seen it in UK yet. uHu are you using diesel/lpg?

Diesel LPG really appeals to me after reading some of the economy gains that they're getting in Aus (LR Defeneder 7L/100km anyone?!... and that's not on the back of the recovery truck!)

There is a bit in the UK about it; These guys do a basic kit in the UK, so may be worth getting in contact with and seeing what tech is coming through. I think it'll work with an IDI diesel, so an old 2HZ diesel would be a goer.

These guys in Aus are one of the bigger companies that do it, there are others, but it's worth having a look at what they do. They've got a dyno chart for an HZJ100 pre and post gas kit.

OG how much was you conversion if i may ask?

Mine was done when I bought the vehicle but I seem to recall finding a receipt for £2000 or so. I can check next week if you want to know (nowhere close to the Land Cruiser right now)

I run an 85 litre vertical tank int he boot where one of the dickie seat were mounted

I do do a fair bit in the rough stuff and go to places that sometimes LPG can be scarce hence I didn't want to loose the full size fuel tank, I am in the process of fitting another 85 litre tank to the other side in the boot then I should be on for around 400 miles on lpg without the danger of running on liquid gold. I have to say on lpg I can get mine up to about 16 mpg but that said it i a little larger and heavier than most out there ans also on mud terrains for now

J66p, will your system run on both tanks at the same time? I asked my lpg guy about a second tank and he reckoned it would be difficult to have individual tanks running seperately. Ta much

Cant see why it would be difficult? Just need a changeover switch to turn the solenoid on one tank or other on or off. All tanks have solenoids now so should be easy.

Back