Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel or Petrol for 3000 miles / year

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

Suggestions please.

My wife does maximum of 3000 miles a year.
Is there any point in buying a diesel?
Diesels really don't like short distances.
Her commute to work is just 3 miles each way.

Interested in a wiggle box petrol.

Graham

My wife has a Petrol A3 as her driving is mostly around town, cant't see any benefit in a diesel tbh, and I love my petrol 80 and won't be changing it to a Diesel anytime soon

+1 Petrol

3 mile runs wont burn off the DPF in a modern diesel, plus who knows which city centers they will be banned from next.

3 miles isn't really good for any car, but I'd think a petrol will take it better.

So that’s an annual fuel bill of around £850 for the pleasure of driving a Cruiser every day and keeping a V8 on the road. Some would say irresponsible. I would say go for it.

1+ petrol .my other half's commute is 55 miles round trip 4 days a week during term time & the difference between petrol & diesel in a hatchback is about 200 euros a year

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With that sort of mileage, petrol, especially, if it's a V8

That must be less than 10 miles a week so i'm guessing only around town and i believe a V8 petrol will soon have you asking where did the fuel go . It cost me less than £20 more than it would in my 1KZ to do about 400 motorway miles in a Hummer H2 V8 but while popping to the shop and around town at home the fuel gauge dropped like the big hands on a clock :wtf:

I was happy to pay for the V8 roar and what's 10 miles but even i started wondering if it might be cheaper to get taxi's everywhere .

Petrol motorbike?

e-Bike?

Or, just say bugger it and run either a 4.5 80 series or a 6.0 V8 Commodore ute...

Yes, we have sensible options here....

A 50cc twist and go for that sort of milage would be a suggestion but fit a hotter plug to stop sooting up tax is bugger all and a tank of fuel should last a good while

That must be less than 10 miles a week so i'm guessing only around town and i believe a V8 petrol will soon have you asking where did the fuel go . It cost me less than £20 more than it would in my 1KZ to do about 400 motorway miles in a Hummer H2 V8 but while popping to the shop and around town at home the fuel gauge dropped like the big hands on a clock :wtf:

I was happy to pay for the V8 roar and what's 10 miles but even i started wondering if it might be cheaper to get taxi's everywhere .

I won't let her have any 2 wheeled bike, just not safe on the roads anymore.
Close to 30 miles a week, so thinking along the same lines as you, no good for any, but petrol will cope better.
Taxi's still need to wait for them to arrive.
I think I will tentatively watch the petrol Amazons, from 2003 onwards.
Thats the later 5 speed wiggle box

A 50cc twist and go for that sort of milage would be a suggestion but fit a hotter plug to stop sooting up tax is bugger all and a tank of fuel should last a good while

Can't risk her on a 2 wheeled bike.
Her does like the bigger 4 x4 vehicles,
This is why she has bought the Touareg (Q7)

Dare I say, what about an electric thing?

Dare I say, what about an electric thing?

What a chair ? proper green mile style :icon-biggrin:

1598551082604.png

Thats a bit harsh :lol:

Lil Suzy Jimny if you can get on the waiting list that being a right foot push and go with some left foot interaction last best guess but there might be others

I get the feeling she likes to arrive in style given this question is repeated every couple of years , so with that in mind a cool classic that appreciates in value might fit , can you get an old Aston Martin for 20 grand ?

Back