Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff gears 35”

Okay, good enough.
If I were to order this kit, I still have to get all the shimms because they are not included ?

I very much doubt you'd need all the shims. That's a huge range. Before you undo the pinion, put a straight edge across the diff and measure the depth of the pinion face. When you rebuild, drop the pinion back in with the original shim and measure up. You will then get a difference. You'll need to nip it up and snug the bearings a bit first of course. That will give you a starting point. You might hit it first time. I have. But at least if you measured say 60mm first time then with new gears it's 60.5 you know you need a shim 0.5 thinner than the one you started with. I'd then order the one closest to that and perhaps 1 or two either side of that. The stated sizes of the Toyota shims are pure fantasy. They are very crude stamped washers and for a say .97 shim it might measure between .95 and 1.01 around the edge of the washer. Remember that it's really only the highest part of the washer that really counts. You can't crush them when you torque up the pinion nut. I tend to run mine over some wet and dry paper to clean them up a bit. If you need a custom size, you can stick it to a magnet and just keep sanding on a flat surface until it's thinner. Useful if you're a bit stuck. All of the diffs that I have built have been around the same thickness of shim. I guess the factory machining of the pinion is very accurate and throws the same dimensions when assembled. Generally I've found them to be in the 1.97 range. You could order around that as a chance. I certainly wouldn't bother with things like the 2mm shim. You could always stick two thin ones in if you did need extra thickness. There is absolutely nothing special about the shims at all. You could find something in your local hardware store that would do.
Don't forget to buy the oil retaining ring. Unless of course Milner has actually listened for once and now includes it

Back