Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff locks: Centre works fine, no lights at all for front and rear. What could it be?

TurboHatchback

Country Flag
uk
Hello all, I've just bought my second HDJ80 which I'm rather enjoying. It does have a problem with the front and rear diff locks which I have not previously encountered:

When I put it in low range the centre diff lock engages and the light goes solid on the dash. I then turn the rear and front diff lock switch on but nothing happens, not even blinking lights on the dash. This seems to suggest that the system is not even trying to engage the lockers. I checked the 30A diff fuse under the dash which seems fine, my next thoughts were to check the switch itself but it seems unlikely that would fail.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on what the problem might be?

Yes the lights come on for a moment and go off when the ignition is turned on like they should. That's interesting, seems odd that someone would disconnect the switch but that seems the next thing to investigate. Now I need to work out how to take the dash panel off to get at it without breaking anything!

Seen the switch and the cabling disconnected many times, it stops people switching them on by mistake and destroying the drivetrain.

regards

Dave

Well I took the dash off, the switch was indeed disconnected. I plugged it in and both diff locks worked perfectly after not having been used for at least 11 years, Triple locked and ready to rock! Many thanks for the tip.

Sounds about right, glad you got it sorted. For a minute I thought you were caught in the trap of the diff lock switch, it has been known to fit the switch to non locked cruisers to up the selling price. Old trick I saw in the car auction days, buy a 4 speed metro, replace gear knob with one from a 5 speed which was much more desirable and put it back through the following day, many made a grand overnight!

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back