Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff locks.

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Hi guys.

Back again from the 90 side and have a question about diff locks. Some of you may know that I am doing a solid axle conversion and swapping out the rear axle on my swb 90 for 80 series ones. I have been having a thinky about the lockers. On the 90 the rear is control'd by the ecu which will not allow it to be activated in anything other than low box. Now with all the changes I am making the sensors and such that tell it that it is in low box will not be there. (plus it never had a front locker) so I think I will just be wiring up some switches.

I would have thought momentary switches best (like electric window ones.) just hold it down for a few secs then cut the current.

The main thing I could do with knowing is what sort of current the acctuators are likely to pull as I will need to go and get 6 relays to sort out the DC voltage swap (Won't I Jon????) 2 for front, 2 for back and 2 for centre.

Thanks in advance guys.
Chris

I would get an 80 series dash difflock switch and ECU from Karl with the connectors and enough loom to solder your own wires onto. Then just follow the EWD to make your own loom between the ECU and switch and ECU and lockers. This will be MUCH easier than puzzling out your own relay logic and give you OEM reliability and packaging. Bypassing the requirement to be in low box or have centre diff locked is as simple as connecting that wire to 0v.

Cheers John. I will look into going that way. I must admit I had never really thought about going OE.

Chris
I fitted OEM lockers front and back to my 80 in SA. You cannot just press a button to activate as there are engage sensors that activate when the locker is fully engaged/disengaged to cut the power and also reverse the polarity of the voltage applied to the motor ready for the next activation. I built a DIY solution based on drawings provided. It required 3 relays. I have the drawings somewhere if you want me to dig them out, send me your email address to: [email protected]

Back