Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff won't release

Boss lady

Just used the car to tow something heavy. Put diff on, hasn't been used for yonks. Now won't release and car virtually un driveable. Any ideas???

Which diff, C/F/R? Tried reversing and steering back and forth on loose ground?

Oh and welcome!

regards

Dave

Do you mean that you pressed the button for the centre diff lock or that you shifted the transfer gear into low range? Or have you got after market lockers? Either way, Dave2000 has the right idea to start with.

The boss lady seems to have gone quiet, let's hope she's sorted, it would be nice to get some feedback though...
:text-feedback:

Hi All, none of your comments came through to my email, sorry, went into spam folder which is only on my main comp and just saw, thought i'd not done something properly when posting comment, we sorted it, turns out it was the cross lock problem, my brother jacked up car, took out 4 bolts, then wheels spun freely, so he put the bolts back in after a cuppa, all good, we did try the driving back and forward etc prior to that. his car is a 95 ours is a 97 .

thanks for all input, will check spam from now on, also my oil light keeps coming on but oil level fine, comes on itermitantly, then more frequently then stays on, any ideas.

we have had the 2 80 series for a while and a 100 series as well

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad it's fixed boss lady!

I'm plagued by dash gauges going wrong lately. Usually it's sensors packing up over time. Mines a '95 so 21 years this year, yours are a little younger, but only a year or 2.

My oil pressure gauge was the first to go, but I replaced the sensor and fitted an aftermarket gauge.

Now the fuel level gauge has locked on half full, but haven't had time to pull the sensor out of the tank.

I suggest you get a tester on the sensor, or just buy a new one. It will probably fix your oil light problem.

Actually, I didn't realize 80s had an oil light, but I've only had mine 10 years... still learning :lol:

It's a level switch in the sump Clive. It usually comes on if I park on a slope and the oil level is lowish.
When you say the oil level is ok BL, what is the actual level on level ground? If it's anywhere near the low level, then the sensor is doing its job and letting you know to be thinking about getting some oil for a top up. If it's topped right up then it's a sensor problem but that would be a rare one I would imagine. This is engine oil not auto box oil of course.

hi again lads. this spam thing really annoying. we were gonna do the sensor thing next. oil checked on level daily. as you say, 20 yrs or so not bad for a part. luuuuv my car, hubby not so much as his view is from underneath mostly. been in family nearly 14 yrs, made my brother sell me it. he bought 100 series. baaaaaad idea. too many gadgets, eventually got rid and got another 80. wee bit older. had range rovers prior to that. the ride on mine feeling bit hard even though shockers changed, had to use gas as no oil available now. hubby not like.

It's best to check into the forum once a day, especially if you're posting and hoping for replies.
I'm sure you can adjust your spam settings on trusted sites such as this, someone might be able to advise.

Whereabouts are you, there's no location showing. Can you edit your profile a little please?

I don't understand this comment, what has it got to do with spam ?

Boss Lady's club email alerts are going into her spam mail folder, so she doesn't see when she gets a post.

Can someone with IT nouse help her change her settings on the club emails?

Boss Lady's club email alerts are going into her spam mail folder, so she doesn't see when she gets a post.

Can someone with IT nouse help her change her settings on the club emails?
Is it not a case she needs to put the club email address on her safe senders list? I'm guessing here as I don't have this feature or any replies going to my email.

Hi Guys. thanks for the banter, wonderful, all my emails go to my phone as I rarely get to sit down at my pc, I'll try and see what I can do for the spam settings, thanks for explaining that one Clive, When I get a chance i'll get a photo up and work out why I have no flag, i want a flag thingy!
In meantime info is we are in Glasgow, have a black 97 manual amazon vx and brother has a burgundy manual 95 landcruiser, basic model , he had my black one before me and bought a silver 100 series automatic, bad buy. Hubby does all the work on our car and my brother on his car. my hubby is a big bear so I'd need a big chair to stand on , hehe, like it Starcruiser [ do you often take yours into space?] I'm not good with heights so Land it stays!
Sorry lads off now to do the dishes and plan my next event, hence the cars, used for towing,

will check as often as i can, please forgive me, dont wish to seem rude, just busy busy busy, all advice greatly appreciated by all, you never know everything about these wonderful machines, except they are wonderful!!!!

Not so often these days BL, it's the fuel cost and the last petrol station in the Milky Way was closed down in May for skimming credit cards . You just can't trust those Martians you know!

(Our other car is a Mitsubishi Space Star. Well I thought StarCruiser sounded cool).

Oh and the flag thingy… I think you might mean an Avatar (no, not the wierd blue cartoon creatures)

I logged in to email via the Interweb instead of my push email on phone so this can be seen on it just now. Price for fuel in space sky high. Stay down here with the rest of the landies. You'll be good. We also have 2 old Mitsubishi 4 life pIckups so Mitsubishi good too.

IMG_20160816_2057478.jpg

Now that is one seriously nice lookin' 80 there BL. I bet your bro is sick he sold it to you.
Don't let @Shayne see it, he'll most likely go into a decline as that's his favourite colour and he's been thinking about an 80 or two for a while now.

I think you're right, the more Cruisers that stay down here on Earth the more Landys can be towed when they break down or bits fall off. Bless 'em!

Thanks. Thot it would go onto the wee thumbnail bit. Didn't mean for it to be a full pick. And yes. My brother tries every week to get it back.

Have to go and do my other stuff now. Bill check back in soon. Thanks to all

Back